Taking over the family business

bobby

:P Lots of sons and nephews of former NHL players in the upcoming draft.

Some interesting ones as far as the Habs are concerned, I think. Sam Gagner, Colton Gillies, Brad Malone, Justin Vaive, Daniel Smith, Brendan Smith, Brandon Sutter.....probably a few more I've overlooked.

I don't know if Justin Vaive will get drafted but I saw him with Team USA last year. Big kid, tall but lanky. Might be an interesting pickup later on.

Vaive is huge. 6-5 or 6-6 already. The fact that he made the U18 National Team means that he must have at least passable skills. There was another kid there Richard Manley who is even bigger, and a year younger. He went to play in the USHL, but the kid is a freak of nature. Something like 6-7 at 16 years of age and he has good hands. :huh: He is doing about as well as Blake Wheeler did in the USHL, he is 2 years younger than Wheeler when he was there, and a lot bigger. :blink:

Vaive is huge. 6-5 or 6-6 already. The fact that he made the U18 National Team means that he must have at least passable skills. There was another kid there Richard Manley who is even bigger, and a year younger. He went to play in the USHL, but the kid is a freak of nature. Something like 6-7 at 16 years of age and he has good hands. :huh: He is doing about as well as Blake Wheeler did in the USHL, he is 2 years younger than Wheeler when he was there, and a lot bigger. :blink:

With Vaive he's huge but you could see he hadn't adjusted to his big frame yet. That said I have no clue where's he projected to go in the draft by CSB or ISS but I would be all for us taking a shot on him.

Another guy from the US that I'm a big fan of is Nick Larson from Hill Murray but not till the 2nd or 3rd round. He's going to Minnesota next year along with Pat White who's getting hyped as a possible 1st round or early 2nd. I saw them play against one another and was more impressed with Larson yet he seems to be lower on CSB's ranking.

White is in the USHL now. He has 5 goals in 8 games, so he seems to be doing pretty well. It will give the scouts a better idea of where the Minnesota high schoolers fit in the draft when they play in the USHL late in the season. Ryan McDonach plays his first game tomorrow, I think. I really think the American talent may be underrated this year so far. I don't know about the talent coming out of the Q, although I'm sure that Esposito and Voracek will go fairly high in the first round. If you compare them to last years Q draftees like Giroux and Bouchard, they really aren't producing that much. If Latendresse and Brassard were there this year, they would probably score 150 points apiece. If it were up to me, I'd take at least half a dozen of the American kids before either Voracek or Esposito. Out west, things are similarly sketchy this year, aside from Kyle Turris. For me it's Turris, Kane, Gagner, Cherepanov, and a bunch of American players.