Habs Dj interview

habsfan88

Hey, i was just seaching google for habs-relating things, and I came across this site. On it the habs's DJ is getting interviewed on the music he plays during games. You should really read it. Well here it is:

Power player

>> Habs DJ Martin Prémont on the rhythms of the rink

by CARRIE HABER

Seven storeys above the ice, Martin Prémont is having a blast, blaring rock, disco, punk, house and trance for the hockey set, conducting the experience of nearly two-million spectators at every Habs home game. Humbly footed in the shadow of celebrity, Prémont confesses to being a regular music-loving white guy and occasional CISM DJ, where he goes by Melvin Bliss, after the obscure, oft-sampled dude who put out precisely one 45 in 1977.

I met him near the (almost) abandoned organ, at his $10,000 sampling system, in a booth he shares with four others. They are animators and mixers, and with Prémont comprise the technical team behind “game presentation.” Gillett’s Bell Centre, infused with more advertising dollars than cubic millimetres, is producing more of its own sideshow entertainment than ever before. Prémont says this helps the players to play. As marketing assistant, he ought to know.

Mirror: So you’re the DJ. Give me a play-by-play of what the heck goes on up here.

Martin Prémont: Okay, pre-game show—the most exciting thing is the warm-up, when Theodore or Hackett hit the ice. This year I start ’em off with the Hives. Then the show starts and I play the THX theme, like in the theatre. It won’t shake much here, but if you were down in the arena you’d get all those vibrations!

M: Do players have their own themes?

MP: No, the game moves too fast, but we make 30-second videos that play on the Jumbotron, and there we give them themes. Gilmore likes “Enter Sandman,” Zednick gets “Let Me Entertain You” and Theodore likes punk. He likes Good Riddance, so we gave him “One for the Braves.”

M: What do the other teams’ DJs play?

MP: A lot of the same stuff, but we have our own classics. We were the first sport team in North America to play “Olé Olé.” It’s now even bigger than “We Will Rock You” or “Song #2” by Blur. It’s a cover of what was originally a soccer song in Europe. Then there’s “The Goal Song,” written especially for us. And the classic organ cuts: “GO! HABS GO!”; “Bleu, Blanc, Rouge”; “Halte là, halte là, les Canadiens sont là!”

M: What’s the situation with the organ?

MP: We still have an organist for the Original Six games. However, les Canadiens are adapting to the market by playing less and less organ. DJ music works better for the sponsors. Eventually the organ will be gone.

Themes and dreams

M: Is hockey a rock, punk or disco sport?

MP: Rock sport, for now. But the market will change. The younger audience likes punk and hip hop. Disco will disappear.

M: Speaking of disco, Guy Lafleur put out a disco record in the ’70s—have you heard it?

MP: I think he was a Blondie fan—he really liked “Heart of Glass.” He sang or something?

M: He sure did: “Power Play,” “Checking”…

MP: I don’t think we’ll see a reissue of that one.

M: Do you play whatever you feel like?

MP: You want to play standard NHL stuff, because that’s your league. You want to fit the format, but you’ve got to break the mould a bit so people know they’re at a Canadiens’ game.

M: So what makes people feel like a Canadien? Do you play local bands?

MP: Yes, of course. The Dears, les Sequelles (on Grenadine Records), les Vulgaires Machins—a band on Indica, with one of the best albums in Quebec. Groovy Aardvark. There are great artists on indies.

M: From a marketing perspective, you’re giving bands a pretty big audience. Do the record labels throw their weight—and money—around?

MP: Nope. The labels give us freedom. They send us CDs and ask us to play them, but I think people expect too much from us. They think that we’ll automatically play whatever they send us. That’s not how it works. We get a lot, but we have to take care of what’s best for us.

M: Does the league interfere when you get cocky? I heard about organists being penalized for playing “Three Blind Mice” whenever refs called against the home team.

MP: Yeah that’s not allowed anymore. It’s a $5,000 (U.S.) fine.

M: Tell me about fights.

MP: You wait. When it’s over you play “Fight for Your Right” (Beastie Boys), “Bad to the Bone” (George Thorogood), “Real Wild Child” (Iggy Pop), “Stuck in the Middle With You,” stuff like that.

M: Do you think that the music you play prolongs the battle?

MP: No, that’s why you can’t play during the fight… but I guess it could cause a second fight. :

Heavy rotation

>> A sample set from a Canadiens game

The Hives “Hate to Say I Told You So” • Assorted European Trance • Alan Parsons Project “Sirius” • THX theme • Jaydee “Plastic Dreams” • Bouncing Souls “Olé” • “The Goal Song” • An entire library of classic organ samples (CHAAARGE! etc.) • Groovy Aardvark/La Bottine Souriante “Boisson d’avril” • Pennywise “Bro Hymn Tribute” • Blur “Song #2” • Gary Glitter “Rock & Roll, pt. 2” • Hanson Bros “Get It Right Back”

Nice article - especially since I'm a DJ myself. Never though that there were so much thought and effort behind the music that is being played during games.

Is this guy planning to retire anytime soon, by the way? ;)

Originally posted by DJ_Laszlo

Nice article - especially since I'm a DJ myself. Never though that there were so much thought and effort behind the music that is being played during games.

Is this guy planning to retire anytime soon, by the way? ;)

Its a good article, a bit outdated, but still good, interesting the know the process of it all. And while I love organ music, I agree that it needs to be phased out and the all arenas need to "get with the times" ... A few samples of organ music is still great to hear though...

And Lazlo, checked out your website awhile back... Its great... But wow, you have loads of pictures! Its like you take a picture of your life for every single minute... :)

Originally posted by puck7x

And Lazlo, checked out your website awhile back... Its great... But wow, you have loads of pictures! Its like you take a picture of your life for every single minute... :)

Well, not really...but maybe a picture for each minute during those events :) It's all about memories, you know ;)