NEED FOR CONCERN?

RJP

Why is it that given how Gainey played, these Habs refuse to hit even when opportunities along the boards existed last night against Ottawa? Okay, there were the few rare hits.

Why is it that the opposing D-men have attitude against our forwards in front of their goalie, but our guys have a group hug with their forwards crashing and banging away at our goalie?

Based on the last 2 games, and despite what Todd and Fisher may think they know, Montreal is in trouble in the playoffs unless: a) they incorporate consistent hitting and a bit of attitude in their game and b) get great goaltending.

Time for Julien and Gainey to put their heads together and recognize that speed alone won't get the job done in the playoffs. You have to play tough and make the opposing forwards earn their spot in front of Theodore.

Lets hope!!!

[Edited on 2004/3/26 by RJP]

Julien did try to make adjustments during the game, so I don't fault him. The team played poorly and lost. They've still had a tremendous stretch, including other games where they have played poorly and won. Watching the entire game, Montreal came out looking like they were playing for a tie, for some reason. Flat all around.

Point is, the Habs played a bad game and they paid for it. They've already proven they know how to lose to lesser teams, as they have done that all season (re: Florida).

I personally don't think that there is a need for concern just yet. Julien is dealing with a lot of changes to the roster and an excess of forwards. He needs to find where each belong. He changed the lines and they were a failure. It happens to all teams. Is he a bad coach? NO

IMHO I think his lack of emotion is a good thing. If you all can go back to the 72 summit series, ask yourselves what made the Russians play so well, in Canada? We know the political corruption in Russia, but in Canada. It was, if I remember right, Phil Esposito who said that Russia lacked all types of emotion, even when they scored a goal. No celebration, no smiles, just hockey. Team Canada on the other hand had their emotion on their sleaves, eventually it worked out in their favour, but there are upsides and downsides to each philosophy, and I personally think that with a team like MOntreal, and their rebuilding, JUlien needed to have a stone-like set of emotions. That way they don't get deeper in the hole. I know this doesn't explain their lack of effort. Whatever it was, I hope and think that they will cough it out of their system. Our last regulation time loss was against San Jose 22 days ago!!! JUst ride proudly with them for the downs and the anticipation of the ups will come!!! If that last sentence made any sense to anyone, I applaude you. It sounded good in my head, but I can't think of any other way to put it:D

:ghg:

A 2-game losing streal is nothing to get worked up over. What IS something to get worked up over is the way the Habs lost both games - a distinct lack of team effort and cohesiveness. Brisebois & Begin were both out with the flu. I haven't read anything about this but perhaps the Habs have been riddled with the flu which might explain for their poor efforts the last 2 games. An excuse? Grasping at straws? :?- I hope there's a plausible reason for their performance of late 'cause if that's the way they're going to play the last 4 games it's going to take a win against Buffalo to clinch.

Originally posted by habitual_hab

A 2-game losing streal is nothing to get worked up over. What IS something to get worked up over is the way the Habs lost both games - a distinct lack of team effort and cohesiveness. Brisebois & Begin were  both out with the flu. I haven't read anything about this but perhaps the Habs have been riddled with the flu which might explain for their poor efforts the last 2 games. An excuse? Grasping at straws? :?- I hope there's a plausible reason for their performance of late 'cause if that's the way they're going to play the last 4 games it's going to take a win against Buffalo to clinch.

Just as I suspected:

Defencemen Craig Rivet and Stephane Quintal missed practice with what a team official said was the flu. As well, defenceman Francis Bouillon left halfway through practice, also with the flu.

The flu that has made the rounds of the dressing room in the past week hasn't helped, said head coach Claude Julien.

"It seems to be tailing our defence,'' he said. "A few other teams had it earlier this season and we're having to deal with it now.''

The Habs' pitiful play the last three games coincides with the team teaming with influenza... coincidence?