Konstantin Korneev

BTH

I've always assumed this guy is a career RSLer and would never amount to anything but he is still young and I recently read an article ranking him as one of the top 20 most NHL ready RSL players. He is ranked 16th (Emelin is 12th). The portion on Korneev says he has become a #1 defenceman in the competitive Russian Super League.

"#16 – Konstantin Korneev

Team: Montreal Canadiens

Position: defense

Drafted: 275th overall in 2002 (Montreal Canadiens)

Immediate NHL Impact: third pairing defenseman.

Notes: Unexpectedly for many, Korneev has developed into a number one RSL defenseman at quite an early age. He was the backbone of CSKA defense this season and displayed an admirable aptitude to pinch in offensively when needed, but always end up being the last man back whenever the opposition threatened CSKA’s goal. Korneev’s puck moving ability, defensive responsibility, and respectable physical presence for a player of his size even earned Korneev an appearance at the IIHF World Championships as an injury replacement for Montreal’s Andrei Markov. While very underrated in North America, Montreal’s selection of Korneev in the ninth round of the 2002 entry draft is looking more and more like a steal."

According to other scouting reports, he is not an imposing figure in his own zone but is responsible defensively though is more known for his offensive prowess and smooth skating. He seems to have bulked up 7 pounds since he was drafted.

According to rushockey.com his immediate NHL impact would be on the third pairing which surprised me. Is this guy off the radar? Or can really help us out? I notice he isn't even listed on Dan Linn's site so it seems like he'll never come over. It doesn't sound like the Habs have tried getting him over either, all the emphasis was on Emelin and Valentenko.

There's been no talk of him ever coming over, he has it too good in Russia in terms of pay and pedigre. That being said, as long as there is no transfer agreement, we keep his rights. So if he ever changes his mind, he's a nice asset.

He isn't listed on Dan Linn's site because the Habs lost his rights at the beginning of this month.

Well I'm not so sure, there's been nothing officially from the NHL and the Sabers were supposed to get the 45th overall pick for not signing their 1st rounder in '00 but they ended up not getting the pick so I have to think that the NHL once again extended the rights of Russian draft picks. But I don't know for certain one way or the other.

I chose not to put a profile for Korneev cause I never thought he would come over. Same with Kruchinin and Sidyakin. I also did this with Alex Dulac and Loic Lacasse cause I never thought we would sign them, so I had to go back and make up a profile for Lacasse after to my surprise we signed him. I won't do one for Lahti since he's already 25 just as I chose not to do one for Danis since he's already 25, plus I removed older guys and guys that graduated like Lats.

There's been no talk of him ever coming over, he has it too good in Russia in terms of pay and pedigre. That being said, as long as there is no transfer agreement, we keep his rights. So if he ever changes his mind, he's a nice asset.

excuse my ignorance (and this might have been answered on another thread), but does this apply to Emelin as well?

excuse my ignorance (and this might have been answered on another thread), but does this apply to Emelin as well?

If they extended the rights of Russians this year, I assume they will continue to do so until the Russians sign the PTA, so we would keep Emelin's rights. I guess and it's a total guess is that we will see Emelin in 1 year but that is based off nothing then a feeling from what I've read. I was told that CSKA offered Emelin a 3 year deal and he turned it down, opting to sign a 2 year deal with AK Bars. So why next year? He might have an NHL out clause, or he might not, but there's also the chance that the Habs could buyout his contract with Ak Bars, although they are a rich team and it might be difficult to do so. Russia has yet to change their laws about the 2 week notice, so that helps the Habs as they could use that as leverage if it's not removed from their laws by next summer. (which it could be by then) As the Habs could offer a decent amount of money if Emelin want's to come over cause the risk to AK Bars would be losing him for nothing if they thought he wanted to give his 2 week notice.

It's all up in the air at this point and no one really knows what will happen, perhaps we will never see Emelin over here. I was told the reason behind Emelin staying in Russia this year, was that he felt he wasn't ready for the NHL. This could be total crap or bad info, but I suspose he doesn't want to play in the AHL for 62K a year when he's likely making much much more then that in the RSL. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

I know that they had extended the deadline in the past due to the lack of a PTA, and at this year's draft TSN mentioned that if you pick a Russian, right now you don't have a deadline to get him under contract. They were trying to understand why team's might be afraid of picking a Russian, when it clearly was a pick that you could use for a long time.

So, yes... Emelin right now is ours indefinitely. Korneev, Sidyakin, and Kruchinin as well. But lessons learned w/Valentenko v Emelin... if you can sign them right away, you should. Don't put it off.