Battle of the K9s in Steeltown, time for a Halaking!

Chips

Battle of the K9s in Steeltown, time for a Halaking!

Second home game for the season HFD vs HAM

Go Dogs Go! Go Dogs Go! Go Dogs Go!

I wasn't supposed to attend this game. I have been on a waiting list to get into a REC league hockey team and my number came up for Sat. I was playing at 6pm for an hour game. We lost 5-1 and I had a fun time on the ice after a six year layoff of not playing any type of hockey. In the third I had a golden chance to put the puck into the net but came up short got tied up in the crease and had to watch the puck dangle and then get pushed away to the boards. We had lots of chances like that all night but just couldn't convert it. I had a very good appreciation for professionals who play the sport to begin with but today I reaffirmed my appreciation for those who can play this game day in and day out specially back to back games.

So last minute the gentleman who was to take my seats couldn't and I was not about to let them go awaiting. Right after my game tonight, I headed down to coops and was in time for the second and third periods. Which turned out to be the best two periods of tonights game.

second period.

Milroy scores a timely goal in the second at about the halfway mark of this period. Timely in that the Dogs were looking for momentum and then got it.

Valentenko and Cote shine again on Defense. Milroy, Lahti, Laps, D'ago, Ferland shine in front for the Dogs this period.

third period.

Corey Locke scores with a rocket of a shot from the back top circle while moving so fast that wolf goalie Al Montoya did not have a chance on stopping it. IMO it was so fast and so hard that if he got a piece of it, the puck would have gone right through Montoya and into the back of the net.

And that was not the best part of the play, Locke's shot was setup by Ferland who intercepted the puck in the wolves part of the neutral zone and kicked up the puck to Locke with his trailing back foot. It was a moment of brilliance the fans held their breath with anticipation and Locke did not let us down. He buried the puck with such authority he had the entire crowd standing and cheering. Ferland was the workhorse for the game without a doubt.

Without a doubt, Halak, Locke, Ferland and Lahti shine this period. On D Valentenko, Cote, Gleed, Archer were standouts.

final thought.

At first glance the team seemed slow and uninvolved in the game. Almost as if this was a completely different team that left the ice playing hungry hockey during the home opener. But that soon changed. Shift after shift the Dogs sent energy with every play getting more and more apt in their zones, defense and offense. The transition game was little to be desired but that too showed moments of brilliance.

*** Important to note that O'Bryne took four stitches to the lip in the first period and his condition is not known.

*** Laps took a point blank puck to the face when he tried to block a shot from the point in the third in the dying seconds and he too left the ice with about 9 seconds on the clock, there was blood on the ice and he was down for a minute but got up on this own steam and skated to the dressing room. He looked like he would be back on Sunday.

I was happy to see D'ago, Laps and Lil. Kosts on the same line again. But tonight their was below average chemistry between them. IMO, this was a direct result of playing to many games in a very short time. But thats no excuse their job is about conditioning and being ready for every night. Thats why they get paid the big bucks to play the game and I pay to play the game or in this case watch the game.

I was very impressed tonight with Halak. Although I did not see the first period or the goal scored on him by the wolves in the first, I did feel that he stepped up and tried to stand tall in net for the Dogs. His effort tonight paid off with a first star selection. The areas for improvement still seem to be handling the puck. Way too sloppy, not enough confidence and he just does not understand what his players/defense crew want done with the puck when he has it behind the net or when he stops it on a shoot in from the blue line. IMO this will improve as the season goes on, and his level of communication increases, with his D and his confidence with handling the puck should improve as a result.

At Sundays game vs. Manitoba I will focus my attention on Lahti and Valentenko; They both impressed me tonight with many stand out plays around the boards by Lahti and in checking, specially Valentenko who had a few rub out hip checks that I loved watching.

Another reason for why our stars did not seem on their game could be related directly to how well Hartford was playing their checking game and rough style of play. There was a lot of clean hits and checks that kept Hamilton's talent at bay. I would give the wolf pack lots of credit in the tight close contact game. I am glad we don't see them too often. We play the Wolves again on Nov 16th in Hartford.

I'm looking forward to Sunday night against the Manitoba Moose who will be in town to play Hamilton its a 4pm start time and the night is being dedicated to a very worthy cause Cancer.

I will be there on Sunday with my wife, mother in law and aunt in law visiting from Quebec. They are very big Canadiens fans and therefore FAN-tastic supporters of the Dogs!

GO DOGS GO! GO DOGS GO! GO DOGS GO!

Edited by Chips

D'Agostini-Lapierre-Kostitsyn???

I thought the whole point of sending Laps down was so he could learn to play RW.

I do not believe that line is being used at all times.

It is like the Hero line of the AHL.

I do not believe that line is being used at all times.

It is like the Hero line of the AHL.

JMMR. is correct that line is together to put pucks into the net. Mostly during the third or when we are behind.

Nevertheless, its very effective. Laps greatest strength is his passion and explosion of energy that is above every other player on our team and most nights above players on the opposing team.

GO DOGS GO!