Shootout rule

RobRock

This came up watching the Habs-Pens game last night, and PJ Stock mentioned it in the post-game show as well.

With about 2 or 3 seconds left in the OT, Sergei Gonchar took a penalty for boarding. But he was allowed to participate in the shootout, where he whiffed mightily on his attempt. If a penalty late in the third runs over into OT, why shouldn't a penalty in OT run into the shootout? Anyone in the box at the end of OT stays there. At least until everyone else on the team has shot, but I'd prefer if they were ineligible period.

I agree. Having it not run over into the shootout gives players a license to do whatever they please in the waning seconds of overtime without any consequence except maybe spending a few seconds in the box.

If a player is in the box at the end of overtime, he should be ineligible to participate in the first 5 rounds of the shootout.

I'm embarrassed to say that I actually thought that was the rule until I saw Gonchar shoot. I was watching with a friend who is somewhat less hockey nuts than myself. When Gonchar took the penalty, I confidently said "ok, well he's out of the shootout." Therien made me look like an idiot... again.

I could totally see a soccer style yellow card system where a guy who takes two (or three or four) end of game penalties gets an automatic 1 game suspension. I'd apply the rule for a player who takes a penalty at the end of regulation if the score difference is more than 2 goals.