Best Players Ever at each position?

Guy_Guy_Guy

Hey I came up with this idea. Vote for who you think was the best player at each position and explain why.

First I would like to mention 5 players at each category that are most deserving.

Best centres:

Wayne Gretzky

Mario Lemieux

Jean Beliveau

Phil Esposito

Marcel Dionne

My vote goes to Mario Lemieux.

Many people call him sellfish but in all honesty which natural goal scorer wouldnt be sellfish? Gretzky certainly was a little bit as well. In the late 80-s anytime he was on the ice you would see something that really was unbelievable whether it'd be a great deke, a great goal, a great pass. This guy was always considered above gretzky but if it wasnt for Cancer and for other injuries then Mario would've beaten Gretzky's goal scoring record for sure.

Best Right Wings:

Mike Bossy

Guy Lafleur

Maurice Richard

Gordie Howe

Henri Richard

Vote goes to: Guy Lafleur

Simply the greatest player to rush down the wing from one side of the rink to the other performing incredible dekes and with a unimaginable speed. He had 5 straight 50 plus goals season, 6 straight 100 plus point seasons, was the most dominant player from 1974 to 1979 and he won 4 consecutive stanley cups in that span. I wish he just hadnt retired at 84 cuz he could still play and Glen Sather was looking to acquire him and if he played with Gretzky and Messier then that would've been the best line ever. And to quote Dick Irvin "Everytime he touched the puck the crowd roared as if he had scored even before the puck went in". Guy Guy Guy!!

Best Left Wing:

Bobby Hull

Steve Shutt

Luc Robitaille

Dave Andrewchuck

My vote: Bobby Hull

One of the most creative players of his time, he had that goal scoring ability like no other. He had a hard and I mean real hard slap shot of 120 mph that helped him score goal after goal. He was IMO at least the greatest shooter ever from the blue line and second comes Guy.

Best Defenseman:

Paul Coffee

Ray Bourque

Larry Robinson

Bobby Orr

Guy Lapointe

Vote goes to: Bobby Orr

Probably the best defenseman who had great defensive and offensive abilities. His cup winning goal in 1970 is historic and he had so many memorable goals in the 70-s.

Best Goalie:

Ken Dryden

Jacques Plante

Patrick Roy

Dominik Hasek

Tony Esposito

Vote goes to: Patrick Roy

This one was the hardest to choose. He has the most playoff wins ever and has won 4 stanley cups and in the first one he was a rookie in 86 and was unbelievable and to see him win one last cup in 2001 was a really great moment.

What are your votes?

All-time in the NHL?

Goalies

1) Sawchuk

2) Roy

3) Plante

4) Hall

5) Hasek

6) Dryden

7) Smith

8) Broda

9) Esposito

10) Fuhr

Defensemen

1) Orr

2) Harvey

3) Shore

4) Bourque

5) Robinson

6) Potvin

7) Kelly

8) Coffey

9) Park

10) Chelios

Centres

1) Lemieux

2) Gretzky

3) Beliveau

4) Morenz

5) Messier

6) Yzerman

7) Esposito

8) Sakic

9) Mikita

10) H.Richard

Left Wing

1) Hull

2) Lindsay

3) Mahovlich

4) Robitaille

5) Goulet

6) Bucyk

7) Moore

8) Shanahan

9) Joliat

10) Shutt

Right Wing

1) Howe

2) Richard

3) Lafleur

4) Bossy

5) Hull

6) Jagr

7) Neely

8) Conacher

9) Bathgate

10) Kurri

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Lafleur better than Howe?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way

Ya he is. I give credit to Howe for playing that many games but he has only had 3 100+ point seasons but only 100, 102 and 103 points. Lafleur has had six 100+ seasons in which he had 120 to 135 points.Lafleur has won 5 stanley cups and 3 consecutive league scoring titles and many other awards, and has had 6 consecutive 50+ goal seasons and the first one in only 70 games. Gordie Howe hasnt even scored 50 goals ever.

Nicholls career high in points in 150, 4th highest in history, does that mean he is the fourth best player in history? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way.

Howe played in a low scoring era, which defense ruled and checking was tough. He might not have the spectacular overall numbers as Lafleur, but he was a solid producer in his own right. He dominated his era as much as Gretzky did. He was a fabulos all around player and was the most consistant scorer in hockey history.

1950 - 3rd in points

1951 - 1st in points

1952 - 1st in points

1953 - 1st in points

1954 - 1st in points

1955 - 5th in points

1956 - 2nd in points

1957 - 1st in points

1958 - 4th in points

1959 - 4th in points

1960 - 6th in points

1961 - 5th in points

1962 - 3rd in points

1963 - 1st in points

1964 - 5th in points

1965 - 3rd in points

1966 - 5th in points

1967 - 5th in points

1968 - 3rd in points

1969 - 3rd in points

1970 - 9th in points

21, yes, 21 all-star selections. no other forward was more first or second team all-star selections than howe.

lafleur is one of my favourite players of all-time, but to say he is better than gordie howe is extremley misguided.

Ya but did u know that in 1981 Lafleur had a car accident?? That's when he was dominating the game and unfortunately after the accident he could'nt play at his level anymore. Hey I admit Gordie wass the most determined and competitive right wing ever but Lafleur was the most talented right wing ever.

[Edited on 2004/5/8 by Guy_Guy_Guy]

Maybe, but their have been alot of talented players in history. You cannot base greatness on "talent".

Howe is a model of greatness. He is the most consistant player in hockey history. He won 6 scoring titles, 6 MVP's, played over 30 years of pro hockey, he dominated pro hockey like no one else physically and on the scoreboard. Howe did it all. Thats why most people consider him the greatest right-winger ever.

As you can see on my list, I have Lafleur ranked 3rd. That is exactly where he belongs.

Goalies

1) Roy

2) Sawchuk

3) Plante

4) Hall

5) Esposito

Defensemen

1) Orr

2) Bourque

3) Robinson

4) Coffey

5) Potvin

Centres

1) Lemieux

2) Gretzky

3) Beliveau

4) Dionne

5) Esposito

Left Wing

1) Hull

2) Robitaille

3) Mahovlich

4) Shutt

5) Shanahan

Right Wing

1) Richard

2) Howe

3) Lafleur

4) Bossy

5) Neely

If Lemieux had been healthy or atleast played in about 1/3 more games, he would prolly have more goals than Gretzky.

I always look at it like this, who in their prime would you rather have?

Gretzky of 86, or Lemieux of 93?

I'll take Lemieux in a heart beat.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

If Lemieux had been healthy or atleast played in about 1/3 more games,  he would prolly have more goals than Gretzky.  

I always look at it like this, who in their prime would you rather have?

Gretzky of 86, or Lemieux of 93?

I'll take Lemieux in a heart beat.

Well I like Lemieux's style better cuz he didnt always go behind the net to set up a play like Gretzky did.

Arg, Howe, Lafleur, and Richard all on RW? It's not fair!

Howe is the most complete player of all time. He could pass, shoot, and kick ass. Richard is perhaps the greatest pure goal scorer the league has ever seen. And Lafleur was one of the funnest to watch.

And Gretzky and Mario at C? So tough. How can you argue against either side? Both took teams from nothing and made them great. I don't think Mario had any chance of catching Wayne with the lack of good officaiting and low scoring. Had they played at the same time, it's a toss up. Mario may have had more goals, but Wayne would have had more assists. If Mario would hve used his size more, I would pick him. But I have to go with Gretzky's playmaking ability.

I was not born with stars like Howe and Lafleur.

In Sweden the're called Ulf Sterner, Inge Hammarström, Hans Virus Lundberg, Lillpröjsa Nilsson and Börje Salming.

But...

At the center position I see Wayne Gretzky as the number one of all time. He is the reason why kids started to play hockey. He is the perfect star as he also is the perfect gentleman.

The leftwing is the hardest one. If I can call Forsberg I would like to call him the best since I see him as the one and only complete hockeyplayer. But Bobby Hull is probably the most dominant player at this position.

Right wing: Rocket Richard. The goal scoring king. No doubt.

Defense... Can I pick two? Bobby Orr and Börje Salming.

What about Tumba? I hear he's a god in Sweden.

Lemieux was a better clutch performer than Gretzky. Gretzky was blessed with hall of fame winners for his whole career. the only hall of fame linemate mario had was jagr.

in 91 and 92, he DOMINATED the playoffs like no other player in history. gretzky always had a great supporting cast. lemieux didn't. his play in those playoffs was far and away the best hockey i've ever seen someone play. I could careless how many goals Gretzky scored or how many records he has, Lemieux is the greatest forward in hockey history.

I dont know if you guys have seen these clips but its worth a look. Those are Lafleur's and Mario's spotlights.There are tons of other spotlights also.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_o...nonep199701.htm

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_o...nonep198802.htm

**Edit** Oh Yeah and then go to legend's video.

[Edited on 2004/5/9 by Guy_Guy_Guy]