Thoughts on Line changing and flu prevention

platypus

Hi guys, my second post ever here. My first post concerned avoiding the flu to repress the mid-season swoon represented in recent years by our club. Early second hand reports suggest that the team is very aware of how the cold/flu can slice a team apart and have taken measures to quarantine team members and personnel exhibiting such symptoms. Great job. Hopefully, they will continue to be on guard as the peak of the flu season is now upon us. Apparently, this next month will be characterized by a high level of flu penetration with a particularly nasty variety. Wash your hands! Don't rub your noses!

Great result last night in New Jersey. One question popped into my head related to why we do so poorly in second periods - could it be that part of our second period decay is caused by poor line changes? It is only in the second period when the bench of the team is further from the defensive zone and hence any deficiency in line changing/timing/matching would be detrimental to our play. In my opinion, Carbonneau seems extremely keen on matching lines and this may have the unwanted effect of mistimed changes in the second period. Last night's second period "too many men on the ice" penalty is an example of this sort of short coming (does anyone know how many too many men penalties we've taken and how that compares to other teams?).

In any event, what are people's opinions about line matching? Do we match our defensive line to the offensive line of the opponent? Do we go with our offensive line (Ko-Ko-Nec) against the opponent's offensive line if that line is determined to be defensively weak? What changes in the method of line changing is needed in the second period to match the efficiency of such changes with the first and third when the bench is closer?

I am frustrated sometimes by what I think are overly short shifts that seemingly end when there is an opening in a play. Anyone think this?

-John

Edited by platypus

In most matchups, we're going to be the team with the most depth - let the other team match us. If the other team has a Crosby/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Lecavalier type player in their roster then we might want to put a defensive unit on them (either the third or fourth line) but in general, we just need to keep all four lines scoring and leave the other team with the problem of who should cover who.

The main key in line matching for us is to get Markov and Komisarek out there no matter what. As for one of our forward lines, I think Carbo likes to mix it up on who goes out there against them. He tries to get a feel for the game.