Salei/Sykora possibly available?

puck7x

McKenzie's latest hockey insider report says so : http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

If they are available then the habs have to be interested. A star LW'er who is still pretty young, the habs have a glaring hole at LW... Sykora could fill it nicely. And a nice young tough LD (Might be an RD, not sure... but he does shoot left) in Salei... The habs definitely could improve their defensive depth, and adding Salei would do that.

If I was Gainey I would be very interested in these 2 players.... if the price is right anyways. I wonder what the Ducks would want, not big contracts obviously :P

I'd definitely offer up our 1st rounder in this years draft as part of a pair for the 2, I'm just not very impressed by the depth in the draft and would be willing to give up the pick. 1st + Hainsey/Hossa, or whatever? (Those two guys seem to be in every offer.)

[Edited on 2004-6-23 by puck7x]

I'd take Salei on my team any day, he's the missing link... would allow for Bouillon to slip to #7 on the depth chart and balance out the D with 2 big men and 1 puck moving D on each side.

Left: Souray, Salei, Markov

Right: Komisarek, Rivet, Breezer

Bouillon would be a kind of super-sub, Markov gets a fellow vet Russian in the D core.

As for having to pick up Sykora, it depends how much the Ducks offer to pick up... but right now he has 2 years left on a 3 year 12M deal.

If the strike removes one year, then 1 year at 4M.

I guess this could be an option if we fail to re-sign Kovy... but Sykora is small and that's not the best fit.

On the plus side he's only 26 and has a knack for scoring goals... plus he does have the experience of playing for NJ so he should be familiar with the trap.

Not ideal, but worth considering because Salei is really appealing to me.

Since we'd be forced to take Sykora, I'd hope to be able to hang on to our 1st pick... and just sacrifice Hainsey.