Bertuzzi Charged!!

GoHabs2002

I'm not surprised to see him charged, as his deliberate & planned assault on Moore has put the latter's career in question.

But as for a conviction, or sentence other than a slap on the wrist even if he is convicted... I very much doubt.

Simply because rich people, especially stars, get away with even murder... so why expect a different result especially when this happened in the special context of a physical professional sport, and not in the street.

The lockout couldn't have come at a better time for Bertuzzi, all this will be settled while nobody else is playing either.

Personally I'm not worried for a big Canadian star like Bertuzzi, but I am a little worried that it might increase the chances of seeing Perezhogin charged in the future.. a Russian unknown who would face greater chances of being convincted IMO.

That would absolutely enfuriate me because in Perez's case he was retaliating in kind to a stick to the head initiated by the opposing player...

Simply because rich people, especially stars, get away with even murder... so why expect a different result especially when this happened in the special context of a physical professional sport, and not in the street.

Bertuzzi plays hockey. He isn't as famous as Bryant or OJ (who I'm assuming you're comparing him to).

Anyways, Bertuzzi deserves it. But at least he wasn't all talk like Brad May.

I can't believe Canucks fans are actually standing up for this guy. He deliberately attacks someone and gave him a broken neck and concussion.

Yet, they carry "Support Bertuzzi" signs? WTF?!

Well deserving. I am tired of the Bertuzzi apologists who march on his behalf who do nothing but make excuses for him. He said he was gonna do it, he did it, he has to pay.

If I say I am gonna assault someone and do it, you can bet I'll see serious charges as a opposed to just hitting someone in the heat of battle, alla Hogin.

Perezhogin deserves punishment.

The guy went into convulsions.

You're not just going to get "suspended".

You obviously don't realize how serious the event was, if you think that it's okay to smack the f*ck out of someone with your stick due to "heat of battle.'

Originally posted by Ribeiro

You obviously don't realize how serious the event was, if you think that it's okay to smack the f*ck out of someone with your stick due to "heat of battle.'

Wouldn't you defend yourself if someone swung a stick at your head? Perezhogin defended himself, and wasn't even aiming for the other guy's head. Perezhogin got shafted. Sure, he deserves a suspension, but not an entire season.

[Edited on 6-28-04 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Wouldn't you defend yourself if someone swung a stick at your head? Perezhogin defended himself, and wasn't even aiming for the other guy's head. Perezhogin got shafted. Sure, he deserves a suspension, but not an entire season.

[Edited on 6-28-04 by Fanpuck33]

No, my idea of defense doesn't include smashing someone's head in.

Nice to know yours is though.

:nono:

I dont think that fanpuck was saying that perezhogin's actions were acceptable, only that there were mitigating circumstances. I think that this is very true and I am still a little p.o.'ed that the guy he hit got basically no punishment for instigating.

No, my idea of defense doesn't include smashing someone's head in.

So if somebody attacks you with a dangerous weapon, you wouldn't try to defend yourself? When attacked, there is a natural "fight or flight" reaction in people, and animals for that matter.

Perezhogin was first cross-checked hard in his back, then seconds later he gets hit in the head with a stick. It is pure instinct to fight back, to protect one's own safety. Did he go about it the right way? No.

But also, when he started swinging his stick, the other guy had his back to Perezhogin. Had he not moved, the stick would have hit mostly pads and he would not have been injured, and the suspension would have been far less. But because the other guy changed position, the stick happened to hit him in the face.

Now, Perezhogin is not innocent in this matter, but he is also a victim of cirumstances. I do not feel that he deserved such a long suspension for a hit that was self-defence and was clearly not pre-meditated.