The Cristobal Huet thread.

Tony_

Hey people,

I was just wondering what's your take on Cristobal Huet? We all know where he played last season obviously.

What do you guys think about him filling for arbitration? I'm not to keen on that. His salary was 425 000$ US last season. He did play 41 games for the Kings but then again he probably won't even play 20 if he's backing up Theodore.

Anyway I was just wondering what's your take on this guy and on him filling for arbitration.

(On a side note, you don't see many goalies from France in the league.)

I think that the arbitration has to do something with the contract he was offered by Kings but never signed.

Maybe he just want's the same deal with Montreal. Anyways. We will cost us less than Garon, will be able to talk his mother tounge and play for the best team in the world. Meanwhile Garon gets the chance he never could have in Montreal.

Well I think it's a no brainer. Anyone would pick Garon over Huet any day. But the problem was there was no way Garon would take Theodore's position as the team's number 1 goal keeper.

As for the trade itself. Considering it was back up for back up, I don't mind if it's Huet in nets. Garon is expected to make more than a million this season while Huet won't probably reach that salary in a few seasons.

And at the same time Montreal couldn't offer Garon more than a backup-position. And he really is better than a backup, or at least he deserves the chance to prove it, and that could never happen with the Habs as long as we have Theodore.

Who knows, maybe Garon will be a big star, but we have to put trust to one goalie and that's Theo.

And like Tony said, I don't think anyone would pick Huet over Garon.

Garon was my favorite goalie.... even over theodore, but, i knew there was no chance that the team was going to let him take over... unless something really weird happened and they decided to trade theodore... but that would b boneheaded, cuz sumwhere inside, i believe theodore will get his erm... stuff together, and be the goalie he can be... (lets hope)

I do believe Garon has the potential to become a big star #1 starter in this league... and, all he really needs is sum bad performing from Cechmanek... or for him to go down with an injury, and he will get his chance.

Anywayz, ill continue to follow Garon wherever it is he is in the futur, good luck to him.

[Edited on 2/8/04 by Macaskill]

I'm pretty sure Cechmanek knows he's screwed for next season. One dumb move or showing inconsistency right off the bat will probably land Garon the job as the team's main man.

Either way Roman's unorthodox style of play will come bite him in the ass one way or another. Only keeper who can pull that off is Hasek (well as far as I know).

Who knows, maybe Garon will be a big star, but we have to put trust to one goalie and that's Theo.  

Theodore's already a big star!

M

I'd take Garon over Huet any day.  

Huet isn't that bad. According to many Kings fans, he's a great back-up and Canadiens fans shouldn't worry.

cuz sumwhere inside, i believe theodore will get his erm... stuff together, and be the goalie he can be... (lets hope)  

He has his stuff together:

"Ranks 17th in NHL in Goals Against Average (2.27)

• Ranks 9th in NHL in Save Percentage (.919)

• Ranks T-5th in NHL in Wins (33)

• Ranks T-6th in NHL in Shutouts (6)"

That's not too bad! He has Rivet for a Defensemen too!

Maybe he just want's the same deal with Montreal. Anyways. We will cost us less than Garon, will be able to talk his mother tounge and play for the best team in the world.

From what I've experienced and heard, Quebec's French is different from that of France, Italy and Belgium. The French in those Countries sound different. Just as English sounds different throughout the world.

What I meant by him getting his stuff together, is to be what he can be, one of the top 5 goaltenders in the league... alwayz, whihc, it seems like he is capable of doing, even with family problems in the back of his mind.

It is no doubt in my mind, that if we win a cup, it is going to be with theodore in nets, but, he has to be that goalie we've seen him be, only consistantly.....

I think he can do it... :D... and I hope Garon gets a chance to do the same thing one day. Sooner than later probably.

Originally posted by puck7x

Speaking of Huet, I was fooling around on the Canadiens official site (with the news id#) and found this "future" press release....

<a href="http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect.cfm?sectionID=habsNewsDetails.cfm&newsItemID=3887" target=blank_>--- CLICK HERE! ---</a>

Its dated for tomorrow and has a picture of Huet, does this mean we've signed him? Or he's going to arbitration soon?  

Anyways, its just Huet, no big deal. :)

[Edited on 2004-8-3 by puck7x]  

Quite cool ... it seems that the guys from the Official site know all the things also a bit earlier.

Glad to have him under contract.... time to work on Souray... Ryder... and Zednik.... well Zed is going to arbitration... but still... lol, maybe get it done b4... we shall see.