Kovalev?

nut62001

Why are we so hung up on Kovalev? There are alot of other free agents on the market that would play for the Habs in a heart beat. Gainey offered Kovalev a contract for over 4 mil a season and he turned it down. I do not want to be negative but it is obvious to me that Kovalev does not want to play in Montreal. You never hear of other tams offering him a contract. Maybe the Habs are going to be his last option. I know that Kovalev has great talent(when he feels like showing it) but does he really want to play for the Habs. Maybe Gainey should turn his attention elsewhere to find somebody who really wants to play for our team.

The reason we are so hung up on Kovalev, is beacause in last seasons playoffs kovy showed us what its like to have a Super Star Talent on our team, something that most habs fans have forgotten all about...

Kovalev is by far the most talented free agent out there, he's a player who can make things happen by himself and create things for his teammates...Most of the other free agents out there are only as good as there teamates make them, which is not what habs fans and gainey want....

On the other hand I do see where your coming from, if we sign Kovalev and he doesnt really want to be here...He could be a bum just like his last stint in new York....

IMO, I think kovy likes Montreal but he's not gonna give in and sign for something less then he can get elsewhere...He's playing the free agent role just like most Europeans do, Money is there main objective....

If Gainey offers Kovalev a contract somehwere in the range that he's asking for, He'll be a habs before the next season starts...

:ghg:

Kovalev has made public that the only reason he didn't re-sign with the team in before free agency was so he could test the market. He said on numerous occasions that he loved playing in Montreal. He loves the fans, he loves the city, the respect and ovations he got from fans and that Montreal is a hockey town.

edit: typo

[Edited on 2004/8/17 by Tony]

From what i read he will be in Montreal next year!

I hope so, he made up big time for his mistake(s)!

I think he realy is great with Koivu, and i think he;s the winger Koivu Deserves, so Koivu will have a better season with also more points! Its not only Kovalev, it's also that Koivu needs a great ging besides him!

IMO, I think kovy likes Montreal but he's not gonna give in and sign for something less then he can get elsewhere...He's playing the free agent role just like most Europeans do, Money is there main objective....

I think most people consider Russians Asians. A large part of Russia is in Asia....

Yea as Tony said, now that the fans like got a taste of having Kovalev out there, and the danger that the Koivu/Zed/Kovy line brings... It would be hard to live without it.

I really hope something gets done soon!!!!

In Bob Gainey we trust, don't forget that he always has something up his sleeve. Bob always seems to have a backup for all his plans and he tends to act when it's least expected...

Like I stated numerous times, if not Kovalev, then either Kariya, Selanne, Palfy, Murray and the whole big list of free agents are just waiting for that great offer. They might resist now but they won't when a new CBA is made or when the season starts and they'll be in the crowd watching wishing they weren't so greedy.