Software blocks car phone users

rafikz

So are cellphones getting a bad rap versus AC controls and the radio since they've likely caused as many, or more, accidents?

I think Quebec's laws make sense...require a headset. Simple enough...

So are cellphones getting a bad rap versus AC controls and the radio since they've likely caused as many, or more, accidents?

I think Quebec's laws make sense...require a headset. Simple enough...

yeah, i also think it is a good rule.

But it is just the peak, IMO, we shouldn't be allowed to drive and talk on the cellphone at the same time. People you talk with don't necessarely know what's going on infront of your car and can get into conversation that take you emotionnaly (spelling). It could be disturbing. Talking on a red light would be my extreme limit, but I don't think we will ever go there because some people work during they are travelling.

Just how exactly does it know WHEN the person is driving?

Likely if the GPS is moving at a fast enough speed, similar to many of the nav systems on the market (ie. you can set your Garmin/Magellan/etc to not work when the vehicle is moving)...of course, from what I've heard most cell phone accidents occur at slower speeds, such as in heavy traffic on the highway...people get bored in traffic and/or are late and start making calls. I was rear-ended last year because of that scenario too :angry:

Likely if the GPS is moving at a fast enough speed, similar to many of the nav systems on the market (ie. you can set your Garmin/Magellan/etc to not work when the vehicle is moving)...of course, from what I've heard most cell phone accidents occur at slower speeds, such as in heavy traffic on the highway...people get bored in traffic and/or are late and start making calls. I was rear-ended last year because of that scenario too :angry:

So the software doesn't prevent the driver of a car from using their phone, it prevents anyone in a moving vehicle from using a phone. Passenger in a car, subway car, taxi, public transit, etc. This better remain an after-market product.