The NHL's five stealth MVPs, from CNNSI

huzer

NHL's Five Stealth MVP's

Decent piece by Farber, with a mention of Melanson's work with Theo, Huet, and now, Price and Halak. Oddly, no mention of Aebischer in there....haha!

No. 5: Roland Melanson, Montreal Canadiens goaltending instructor

Melanson has no system that can be attached to him like tin cans on the bride and groom's car. He simply gets results.

Melanson, who had a middling NHL career, helped José Théodore win the Hart Trophy in 2002. (Théodore then took a victory lap, wasting his time and talent; Melanson's failure to rebuild him back into a Vézina Trophy after the goalie wandered away is the one blemish on his record.) Melanson also helped turn Cristobal Huet, a former backup in Los Angeles, into a legitimate NHL No. 1, which led to the four-year, $22.5 million contract that Huet signed in Chicago after a fabulous late-season stretch last spring with Washington.

Now Melanson is molding a prodigy, Carey Price, while also developing another young goaltender, Jaroslav Halak, who is capable of pushing the preternaturally calm Price. Unlike the big-name Allaire brothers, Melanson's work with goalies has gone unnoticed everywhere, of course, but Montreal.

Edit: Haha...just after I find this for myself on CNNSI, I see it listed prominently (and nearly identically) on habsinsideout.com Go figure!

Edited by huzer