Best/Worst Draft Years

BigBirdFan

Now that the season is officially cancelled, we might as well keep up our playful arguments going. I'm not sure if this has been done on HW yet, but I was interested in seeing which year people felt the Habs did the best at the draft.

Is it '71? Or 84?

Personally I'd go with 1971.

And I think 1982 had to be the worst draft year ever, although I'm sure some will argue that 1995 was worse.

Anyway, let the fun begin!

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/history/draftHistory.cfm

Gord

1971 is the best. Lafleur, Wilson, Robinson.

1984 was just as good. Corson, Svoboda, Richer and Roy as the top 4 picks. DAMN.

In 1987, they also picked up Cassels, LeClair, Desjardins, and Schneider with their to 4 picks.

As for the worst, their have been several. Right off the bat, you'd say 1980 when they picked Wickenheiser over Savard. However, later that draft they picked up Ludwig and McPhee (who were on the 86 Cup win).

Originally posted by ch_nl

Of the most reason drafts I'd say 1999 was not a good year. I cant think of any player we drafted that year. Shasby? Or was it 98?

Yes, Shasby was in 1999. 1998 was pretty solid (shadowed by the fact we could get Gagné instead of Chouinard): Ribeiro, Markov, Ryder.

2001 has the potentiel to be one of the best alltime draft with Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin (Milroy). 2003 too, but it's probably very too soon to judge

Gagne was avaliable. Their was talk it was between Chouinard and Gange, and that the only reason Houle took Chouinard was because he scored over 50 goals that year and the Habs desperatly needed offense. If the Habs were a little stronger and had more offensive power, I bet Gagne would be a habs today.