GAME not ON! (Season not un-cancelled)

puck7x

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportsnet spoke to Bill Daly Saturday afternoon, who said it is now too late for a season and the focus will shift to getting a deal done ASAP and preparing to come back as strong as possible next year.

UPDATE: No new proposals were exchanged at the New York meeting, contrary to rumours the NHL was preparing a new proposal. The 6 p.m. ET press conference scheduled by the NHL is likely not going to happen due to the lack of progress.

Sources within the negotiations told Sportsnet, "The number was a huge problem. The league wanted the same number for six years, $42.5 million, not being indexed (non- inflationary) over the course of the agreement. It was more than just a number, it turned out to be a ton of things as we dove into it."

Gretzky and Lemieux were on hand to try to save the season acting on behalf of the owners, but again the differences proved to be too much.

Original Darren Dreger to Bill Daly question:

Dreger: Can a season be saved?

Daly: No. Focus is getting a deal done ASAP, and prepare to come back as strong as possible next year.

Details to follow ...

[Edited on 2005/2/19 by Leafs Suck]

I'm telling it again, it's all a Bettman+owners+medias strategy to kill the Union. They want to show the players that the problem is Goodenow and that the Union is wrong. They want to divide the players and break the Union

That's my conspiracy theory. Ok, maybe i watch to much movies lol

[Edited on 2005-2-19 by sakiqc]

Originally posted by sakiqc

I'm telling it again, it's all a Bettman+owners+medias strategy to kill the Union. They want to show the players that the problem is Goodenow and that the Union is wrong. They want to divide the players and break the Union

That's my conspiracy theory. Ok, maybe i watch to much movies lol

The truth is out there, right? :D

Originally posted by thunderbutt

The truth is out there, right? :D

Hehe lol, well i hope my conspiracy theory is right, because if not, i don't get what those clowns are doing. It doesn't make sense. They can't be dumb at that point. There are surely lot of things we don't know, or even imagine about. Lot of implications we are not aware of. I guess

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Another reason I think they wanted a deal so badly is cuz of Crosby. They wanna market this kid and they don't wanna wait till June 2006 to do it.

They should let Crosby play where he wants to play, in Montreal.

No CBA = No Draft = GIVE US CROSBY

lol, worth a shot anyways. You never know what could happen.

Man if Crosby becomes a UFA if there's no draft there's no way in hell he could pick a team because it would be team after team offering him contract.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a stupid team offering him near 10 million a season.

edit: Don't forget, he's the next big thing in hockey, prospects like that don't come around everyday. He still hasn't proved himself in the NHL but I don't think people are stupid enough not risking offering a contract because he hasn't played a single NHL game yet or AHL game for that matter.

[Edited on 2005/2/20 by Tony]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

When there is no CBA, there are no contracts. Players and team management are not even allowed to communicate, if I am right.

But Crosby has nothing to do with the NHLPA and as I know the CBA is only between the NHL and the members/players of the NHLPA?

So for example a Russian club can also sign him to a contract ...?

That's right, he's not in the NHLPA, hence if can be one of the replacement players for next season if this would ever happen.

On another note, the Oceanic Rismouski administrations have told Pat Brisson (Crosby's agent) that he has 3 more years (not sure but has a few years) left his in contract and that they expect Sidney to fufill his obligations towards to team.

Should be interesting if he gets drafted or not.