Our goalies are going to force someone's hand

REV-G

I have a feeling we might have suddenly slipped into a position that on one hand may be envious for some teams, but may end up forcing Gainey's hand in regards to dealing one of our goalies. Both goalies struggled at the beginning of the year and then both had hot and cold streaks. Then they both began playing very well.

Carey Price was playing very well in Nov and beginning Dec., then lost a few games. And during that time it seems that as Halak rode the bench he could see the writting on the wall and quietly asked for a trade. Then when Halak did play, he shot the lights out and won three straight. And the tide has shifted again in Halak's favour and Carey Prcie is sitting, which he can't be too happy about. So Halak's not happy sitting and Price is not happy sitting.

So we may have arrived at a place where we have two goalies who have both proved that they are legitimate starters in the NHL. So what are the options? I think if we don't do anything we will lose one and get nothing in return. Barring injuries, I can't imagine being able to keep both goalies happy and by the trading deadline or at the end of this year we are going to have to make a move.

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I think the question about who we keep is a very real and good question at this point. If we ever let one of our goalies walk {KHL?} and get nothing in return, that would be disastrous for us, as what happened with a few players over the past few years. We would have spent the time and money on developing a #1 goalie just to let him walk away and star for someone else. Can't happen!

So we hae arrived at the place where we're going to have to do something. At this point neither goalie is going to be happy playing second fiddle. They both want, and should be, a #1, or at least have the opportunity. So now we have to decide who we keep and who we trade. A tough decision for sure.

It comes back to the top-6 forward. Halak is playing well enough that Gainey's chances of wheedling away a legitimate top-6er in exchange for him increase by the game. Once that happens, he should pull the trigger - but not before.