Sometimes the best deals are the ones you didn't make!

REV-G

We've all probably heard the expression, "sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make". I think that can apply to the Canadiens over the past while. Personally I'm very glad we didn't make two trades, that if the insiders were correct, we were at least close to making. The two deals I'm talking about were for Vincent Lecavalier and Iyla Kovalchuk.

Based on his numbers this year and his salary I would not have wanted us to give up young players or picks for Lecavalier who may be beyond his prime and we'd be trading for someone who may have started on the downside of their career. I think that happened when we traded for Dennis Savard. We gave up future potential for a player whose best days were behind him. As great as Lecavalier has been in the past, at this point in his career, I'm glad we didn't give anything up for him.

Regarding Kovalchuk, I heard Elliot Freedman say on the radio last week that the President of the KHL, Alexander Medvedev, told him that he wanted to build the KHL around Kovalchuk next season when he became a free agent and that he could earn $10 million tax free in the KHL. In Freedman's opinion there is a very good chance that Kovalchuk will play in the KHL next season. So for us to have given up young players and picks for a rental, to me that is a total waste unless we were a strong contender for the cup.

So, while Gainey may still make some deals, I'm glad we didn't make these two. They are both great players, no doubt, but I don't think they'd be good long term choices for us right now.

We've all probably heard the expression, "sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make". I think that can apply to the Canadiens over the past while. Personally I'm very glad we didn't make two trades, that if the insiders were correct, we were at least close to making. The two deals I'm talking about were for Vincent Lecavalier and Iyla Kovalchuk.

Based on his numbers this year and his salary I would not have wanted us to give up young players or picks for Lecavalier who may be beyond his prime and we'd be trading for someone who may have started on the downside of their career. I think that happened when we traded for Dennis Savard. We gave up future potential for a player whose best days were behind him. As great as Lecavalier has been in the past, at this point in his career, I'm glad we didn't give anything up for him.

Regarding Kovalchuk, I heard Elliot Freedman say on the radio last week that the President of the KHL, Alexander Medvedev, told him that he wanted to build the KHL around Kovalchuk next season when he became a free agent and that he could earn $10 million tax free in the KHL. In Freedman's opinion there is a very good chance that Kovalchuk will play in the KHL next season. So for us to have given up young players and picks for a rental, to me that is a total waste unless we were a strong contender for the cup.

So, while Gainey may still make some deals, I'm glad we didn't make these two. They are both great players, no doubt, but I don't think they'd be good long term choices for us right now.

+1

i agree...i would like to bring in a couple young guys like Patrick Sharp..i just dont think chi trade him till the off season..