CBC to broadcast some AHL games this season

rafikz

What.....TO gets 3 games (sounds like the typical CBC televising NHL games) ............. :rolleyes:

Good to see some live games though!

I get to Hamilton when I can, unfortunely it isn't that often. This is good hockey. The AHL needs the exposer. This is good news for everybody.

A sage move by the CBC. I think that in the TSN/internet era there has been, not so much an expansion of hockey's fan base, as an intensification of the interest-level of the existing base. In other words, a good portion of fans have become much more hard core than they used to be. We see this all the time, what with sports call-in shows being consumed with hockey even in the middle of summer, vastly expanded interest in the draft and off-season moves, the proliferation of blogs dissecting minutae, etc.. Back in the day, people followed ONLY the pro team and ONLY in the winter. Now it's a year-long obsession.

If I'm right, this means that there is a significantly untapped level of interest in AHL hockey, as these hard-core fans seek information and exposure to team prospects and to track what various acquisitions are doing. I think TSN would be wise to follow suit and introduce some carefully-calculated 'AHL' coverage of select NHL farm teams. (Probably the Leafs, Habs and Canucks, in that order). The key will be for coverage of any given team to be reliable and regular enough that fans can follow the storylines for the team in question; the tentative model the CBC is proposing wouldn't succeed in the longer term. But if we could have some assurance of being able to follow the Dogs on a fairly reliable basis, there would be interest.

I would be amazed if the ratings aren't better for something like that than they'd be for darts or NASCAR or whatever else they use as filler on non-hockey nights. They could end up creating/discovering a nice adjunct market supplementing the core NHL audience.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber