Gainey Speaks

BTH

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354614

Calls out the Subban haters, gives Gauthier a thumbs up and says that quitting his job was the right move.

"'I think he should have fun and he should play and some of those people should shut up and play against him -- just keep their mouths shut and play,' Gainey said. 'Anyone who's met him knows that his personality is outgoing, overflowing and it hasn't yet been tempered with full maturity.'"

Edited by BTH

GAINEY: "There was some crap that I left behind that Pierre had to clean up and there was some good things I left behind that he got to take care of. I can say easily Pierre took what was left to him and he's done an excellent job with it."

:lol: Fun stuff. "Crap"...L'il ####? Lapierre? D'agostini??? All of the above? Bob's always been a bit of a Sphynx. Good stuff.

GAINEY: "There was some crap that I left behind that Pierre had to clean up and there was some good things I left behind that he got to take care of. I can say easily Pierre took what was left to him and he's done an excellent job with it."

:lol: Fun stuff. "Crap"...L'il ####? Lapierre? D'agostini??? All of the above? Bob's always been a bit of a Sphynx. Good stuff.

I don't think he's talking about specific players. He probably just means that when he resigned his position, the team was average, they were right up against the cap, and there was a huge decision still to be made about the goalies.

I remember that as soon as he stepped down, journalists were criticizing him for leaving Gauthier with his mess. :rolleyes:

I think this was a really good move. Gainey may have lost the respect of the Montreal crowd during his time as GM here but he is still highly respected by the hockey community. When it comes to Subban, the Montreal fans and media already agree with him and it's the wider hockey community that will likely heed his message.

I think he did an excellent job as GM. He saw the opportunity to go for it, kept Souray and made moves to improve the shot that if injuries hadn't decimated us might have put us over. These moves also weaken the longer term goals and intermediate performance.

Ironically, it is not just results that determine whether a GM has done a good job. He was an excellent GM in my opinion and remains a simply excellent man. God bless him.