Hossa for Heatley

Vermont Hab

Ottawa's Team 1200 is reporting that after the Senators avoided arbitration by signing Marian Hossa to a reported 3-year, $18 million deal this morning, they are going to flip him and "a defenceman" (not named) to Atlanta for Dany Heatley.

It would be interesting to see if this becomes true.

EDIT: Changed the title back, as this rumor seems to be true.

[Edited on 8-23-05 by Fanpuck33]

Are you serious?

I like Atlanta but it might be bad news for them. I don't know who they'd trade for Hossa. Please not Heatley.

C'mon Eklund is reporting it, it's gotta be false.

If it's true, I am in the minority but Ottawa gets ripped.

I'll take Hossa over Heatley.

Pre-Snyder accident, gimme Heatley but their are factors now.

1) Heatley has been threw a terrible accident and it takes a very strong person to recover from that.

2) Don't forget his eye injury.

3) He wasn't exactly lightning it up with Atlanta after the accident (25 points in 31 games). He was invisable in the World Cup and Worlds.

I am a huge Hossa fan and if this rumour is true, Atlanta wins cuz I say Hossa is the better player.

Neither team site says anything about it though. I guess they'll only post it up after the press conference.

But for sure it was a 1-on-1 deal, Hossa for Heatley?

Edit: Ah, and a defenseman. Maybe Atlanta will get the better end of this.

Also the Atlanta press conference is at 5:30pm not 5.

[Edited on 2005/8/23 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

And just today someone said there wouldn't be any big trades anymore!

Hmm... The defenseman?

Not Chara, Redden or Phillips because then Ottawa gets the ripping of a lifetime. Then there's Brian Pothier, Greg de Vries, Anton Volchenkov and Christoph Schubert. It won't make a big difference but Atlanta does badly need D. I'm surprised they didn't go for Redden and a forward instead...:?-

By the way, Hossa is getting 5 million this year, 6 next year and 7 the year after that. And Sens fans were cheering on this deal. Muckler is crazy. But the Thrashers will have to deal with that contract now.

Hossa:

DOB: Jan 21, 1981

188 goals and 202 assists in 467 career games

Heatley:

DOB: Jan 12, 1979

80 goals and 101 assists in 190 career games.

Youth(only 2 years but still) and Point Per Game goes to Heatley.

Heatley would have 444 points in 467 games compared to Hossa's 390. Not to say that will happen but it certainly could.

This trade is good both ways depending on the D-man Ottawa give's up.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Atlanta: Hossa, de Vries

Ottawa: Heatley

Are you sure it's de Vries? Apparently it's Phillips. Either way Atlanta wins, and it's a good move for Ottawa as long as they don't lose any of their top 3 d-men because they're in cap trouble.

If it is Phillips, then Ottawa got murdered and Atlanta will really push the play-offs this year. All they needed was defense and a bit more playoff experience and they get both here.

Ottawa had to lose some salary, and when your in that position you always end up losing talent in the end. Wonder who this D is though...

Still, if Heatly signs for a fair amount (this deal is useless if he wants 5 mill a year hehe) I think the Sens did good on this one.

Getting Heatly away from Atlanta and the memorys of the accident, back to Canada may do him some good.

I'm not sure if he's close to his home town or the Snyder's but I think its going to do this kid wonders none the less.

PLUS if Ottawa can keep thier top 3 D, and Hasek can return to form, this team is killer..

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Are you sure it's de Vries? Apparently it's Phillips. Either way Atlanta wins, and it's a good move for Ottawa as long as they don't lose any of their top 3 d-men because they're in cap trouble..

I believe RDS was the one reporting de Vries.

If tough to see this happen. Ottawa is a team that drafts well and builds up their team like the Habs. But in the end they get screwed over salary problems. I don't like Ottawa but they've doing a good job and now they have to trade a guy who's been the core of the team for so long. The bright side is that Heatley is young and will grow with them.

But the Sens needed grit badly. A gritty North-American center after losing Bonk. This team is all European and soft. Maybe that's why Don Cherry doesn't seem to like them much (that and they're Leaf rivals). Someone like Primeau would have made the Sens contenders but if Phillips is the defenseman, the Sens just took a big step backward and fall into the evergrowing category of "Play-off Race".

Also, Heatly will eventually ask for almost as much as Hossa so the trade might be a waste. But Hossa really was a problem on the Muckler's hands. He's going for Iginla money. He's signed for 7 million dollars in 2007. I wonder what Atlanta will do with him...

Originally posted by Arcnail

Ottawa had to lose some salary, and when your in that position you always end up losing talent in the end. Wonder who this D is though...

Still, if Heatly signs for a fair amount (this deal is useless if he wants 5 mill a year hehe) I think the Sens did good on this one.

Getting Heatly away from Atlanta and the memorys of the accident, back to Canada may do him some good.

I'm not sure if he's close to his home town or the Snyder's but I think its going to do this kid wonders none the less.

PLUS if Ottawa can keep thier top 3 D, and Hasek can return to form, this team is killer..

Snyder was from Elmira. It's north of Kitchener.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Are you sure it's de Vries? Apparently it's Phillips. Either way Atlanta wins, and it's a good move for Ottawa as long as they don't lose any of their top 3 d-men because they're in cap trouble..

I believe RDS was the one reporting de Vries.

de Vries is still good for Atlanta. Stanley Cup experience and an average defenseman.