Enforcers square off

bombTHEice

Enforcers square off

The Battle of the Hockey Enforcers drew a crowd of about 2,000 people in the 6,000-seat arena, including dozens in ice-side VIP seats costing $200.

PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. (CP) -- Dean Mayrand, a native of Toronto, won a split decision over Mike Sgroi of Windsor, Ont., to win the $62,000 first prize in the inaugural Battle of the Hockey Enforcers on Saturday night.

Mayrand, who plays minor professional hockey in Quebec, said he might use the winnings to buy a home. Sgroi, who won $25,000 said he planned to perhaps buy a car and invest the rest of his winnings.

Their punch-up final brought many people to their feet. It was a close fight with both players landing hard punches.

That was the point of the event, in which no actual hockey game was played. Contestants simply squared off against each other on the ice and fought.

The fighters' faces appeared battered and bruised after the battle. Many fought several rounds before being eliminated.

At times it seemed as if the brawls in the crowd might compete with those on the ice.

Security officials and police broke up at least four punch-ups among patrons in a crowded beer garden at one end of the arena.

The Battle of the Hockey Enforcers drew a crowd of about 2,000 people in the 6,000-seat arena, including dozens in ice-side VIP seats costing $200.

The fighting ice area was reduced to blue line to blue line with temporary side boards and a referee and two linesmen supervised the rules.

Big-screen monitors were set up at each end of the arena and a female host on the pay-per-view station introduced each fighter as if it was a boxing match, giving their height and weight as the crowd listened to the fighters' comments that were pre-recorded the day before.

Prince George resident Gary Olinek was happy to be in attendance.

"I'm looking forward to seeing it," said Olinek, sitting in his $52 seat prior to the event.

"But I don't need to see someone getting their head bashed in."

The crowd clearly loved the show, cheering and screaming whenever one player caught the other with a hard shot to the head. When some of the fighters took too long to start throwing punches, the crowd let them know with resounding boos.

When the second fight of the night, between Sgroi and Jason Simon, was stopped early because Simon appeared to be taking a beating, the crowd shouted obscenities and drowned the public address announcer out with boos.

The hype was in full volume as each fighter entered from a corner of the arena with a blast of dry ice enshrouding them along with screams from the crowd.

The on-ice officials tried to keep the fisticuffs from getting ugly. The 60-second fights were stopped whenever one man's helmet came off, or whenever one fell to the ice.

A panel of judges seated on the side boards decided the winners, with some fights being declared unanimous and others a split decision.

Sportsnet.ca

Has anybody seen that thing? It sounds like a mickey mouse fighting event ...

Ya, I saw a preview-show thing about it yesterday on Sportcentre.

They chose a bunch of enforcers (they're all in the minors and juniors though. No Brashear or Domi or anyone) and they compete for $62,000. That's about a year's salary for the best players so it's important for them.

They skate from one side of the rink and rush to center ice where they drop their gloves (but they keep on some type of martial arts gloves) and begin to fight.

They eliminate players until they win. It's wrestling on ice.

Can't really have the big guns from the NHL compete incase they get injured, as I doubt they'd be insured to recieve their pay.

If I was a GM and my top fighter got injured in one of these media events...

It's pretty interesting I guess. You've gotta be good on your skates so you can keep your balance while fighting and all. You get pretty banged up by the end of it though. I saw the guy on Sportsnet who won, ouch... lol.

[Edited on 28/8/05 by Macaskill]

They called fights when the helmets came off? I've always felt that players should have to remove their helmets when they fight. Many tough guys have broken their hands by pounching a helmet. Especially these days, when many players wear visors. How are you supposed to hit a guy who's entire body is protected?

[Edited on 8-28-05 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

They called fights when the helmets came off?  I've always felt that players should have to remove their helmets when they fight.  Many tough guys have broken their hands by pounching a helmet.  Especially these days, when many players wear visors.  How are you supposed to hit a guy who's entire body is protected?

[Edited on 8-28-05 by Fanpuck33]

I thought that too when he said that but after watching the highlights on RDS (about 10 minutes ago) I noticed that none of them are wearing visors.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

They chose a bunch of enforcers (they're all in the minors and juniors though. No Brashear or Domi or anyone) and they compete for $62,000.  

Goons from the LHNA (old Quebec semi-pro league) do this sort of event often. It has old NHL goon Link Gaetz in it, Joël Thériault (I think he was a Habs AHLer at some point) and recently Brashear started doing it as well. He's fighting with a big afro wig. Crazy stuff. Wish I had a link handy... :(