messier retires

les_glorieux

Messier retires after 25 NHL seasons

Canadian Press

9/12/2005 12:18:01 PM

NEW YORK (CP) - Mark Messier is calling it quits.

The 44-year-old announced his retirement Monday, ending a career that stretched 25 NHL seasons and produced six Stanley Cup rings and the second most points in NHL history.

He called it a tough decision, because he was still healthy. But he said the fact he could leave the game in good condition also influenced his decision.

The two-time league MVP (1990 and '92) made the announcement on a conference call Monday, the start of training camp.

"For me it's been a long career, I achieved a lot," he said. "There was really nothing left for me to achieve, it was just time for me to move aside and go on to something else."

Messier played for Edmonton, Vancouver and most recently the Rangers in a stellar career that featured 694 goals, 1,193 assists and 1,887 points in 1,756 games.

Known as the Moose, Messier was renowned for his leadership skill. He and Wayne Gretzky led the Oilers in their halcyon years and then Messier brought the Cup to the Big Apple as a Ranger.

The Edmonton native joined the Oilers for the 1979-80 season after stints in the World Hockey Association with Indianapolis and Cincinnati.

Messier said he had talks with the Oilers about returning to Edmonton but opted to consider only New York and then, ultimately to retire.

The Rangers plan to retire Messier's number on Jan. 12.

He's allowed to retire in middle of the season though os he should have just signed a one year deal and then left.

I think he's only allowed to leave if he has a special contract. Datsyuk has one in Russia that says he can leave so Messier can do the same. Beat Howe's record, if he's doing well, continue, if he's not then leave. He has nothing to lose and one last record to gain...easily.