Dark Years (1997-200)

GoHabs2002

Undoubtedly, the franchise closed out the century with one of its most dissappointing periods in its history.

From 1997 until 2000, the team struggled with decisions on the ice and decisons off the ice, resulting in an incredible poor performances.

The fans kept showing up and, in many instances, helped boost the teams to levels that certainly exceeded the talent level of the players.

Trades, prospect development and free agent absense provided no hope. There were constant anxiety and doubt in almost all of the team's decision, which perhaps explains the critical nature of many of today's fans.

It seemed like the organization was approximate 6-8 years too late in reacting to the new economic realities of the league. Ever since the CBA of '94 was signed, that is when the slide gradually began - it picked up speed two years later and was at its peak in 98-99.

The team was in an apparent flux on how to deal with negoations, giving too much to appease the player or negotiating too hard when failing to read proper market value. Finally, ignoring the importance of outside free agent signings to build the team, instead of an obviously failing prospect network.

We've experienced the worst, and despite first round failures during that period as well, we're back on the right track.

But regardless, that period will be looked upon as the modern-era dark years of Le Club Hockey du Canadiens de Montreal.

Check out how many times the years 97, 98 and 99 appear in "worst" categories.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/fr.cana.records...ipe-saison.html

Upon quick consideration I would suggest3 main reasons for the downfall: Ronald Corey, R. Corey + R. Corey!! But seriously here goes: !- The "Living in the Past" syndrome. Corey wanted to copy the historical Habs blueprint...the Flying Frenchmen. This is evident strarting when he pushed Serge Savard into trading Chris Chelios for an obviously declining Denis Savard. Perhaps the most obvious example is when he hired Houle AND Tremblay to run the whole organisation as though the two retired players were the best candidates based on the fact that they were ex-habs.

2- This syndrome continued to plague them by trading with a clear bias towards Francophone players as w Thibault + Richer for example. More importantly, the trading history was pitiful period.

These trades were often based on poor player evaluations, both re players on other teams and especially on their Own team ! (And again, with myopic bias towards French players). Throwing Captain Keane in w the trade for Thibault; Odelein for Richer; leaving Turner Stephenson UNprotected in the waiver draft so we could keep Patrick Poulin!! (Apparently Stephenson wasn't good enough for the Habs yet the New Jersey Devils specifically traded w the 2nd or 3rd team picking in order to acquire him because he was good enough for the CUP champions) !!

3- Very poor drafting, especially earlly on, but again they were allways biased towards Francophone players which, I think at least, caused them to overvalue some over others.

PLEASE don't think I'm prejudiced against Francophones; I'm well aware of the understandable desire of LES GLORIEUX to have French players on the team. But this desire led to ALOT of bad decisions during the "Dark Years" imo. off to work now!

Originally posted by HABASTARD

3- Very poor drafting, especially earlly on, but again they were allways biased towards Francophone players which, I think at least, caused them to overvalue some over others.

Though I sympathize and/or agree with pretty well all of your comments, the one quoted above is definitely incorrect. In the four years considered, the Canadiens drafted 10 or 11 Francophones out of a total of 43. That's about 25%. No great bias there. At that, I'm counting Ben Guite and Gordie Dwyer as Francophones. Dwyer speaks French well and Guite, I'm just guessing that he is based upon the spelling of his name which may indicate that he's Francophone.

Most goals in a season:

Year: 1976-1977

Goals: 387

Record: 60-8-12

wow. i remember my dad telling me about this. he was in europe at the time. he was looking at the paper in the sports section and had no idea what was going on in the nhl. on the last page, in the very corner had the top 3 teams in the league. montreal had only lost 5 games at that point in the season.

in a related story, he's at the game right now:wall:

[Edited on 9/22/2005 by les_glorieux]