Crosby recorded an assist in his first NHL preseason game!

TheMaxDaddy

Wow. Huge accomplishment, especially when you're playing with that talentless Mark Recchi.

In other 2005 Draft Pick news: Gilbert Brule made his pre-season debut with Columbus this past Sunday He was held scoreless by Buffalo. Habs fans should remember him as the man they "stupidly" passed on to get Carey Price.

Oh well, I guess we can't expect much. It's tough scoring against NHLers when your only 18.

-tmd

Big whoop!

big whoop again!

This is sort of related since we're talking about this year's draftees.

Here's a sentence from a TSN article entitled, 'Backchecking: Treasure Island'. It's about Alex Bourret.

"- Alex Bourret returned to the QMJHL's from Atlanta Thrashers camp, has a mandate from the team to get in better shape if he's going to compete for an NHL job." Yuck.

Yeah Bourret got trashed by the Trashers coach for showing up to camp out of shape. Not the way to make first impressions on the NHL. I think quite a few teams are bitting their nails for overlooking Latendresse in the last draft.

As for Crosby, I believe he will be an incredible player. People should lay off the pressure a bit on the kid. He's got lots of talent, determination and maturity. He'll trive, just let him have some breathing space. Anybody remember Lafleur during his first 3 seasons with the Habs?

Originally posted by Rooster Anybody remember Lafleur during his first 3 seasons with the Habs?

Certainly do. At that time, the Montreal media were much more patient with up-and-comers. As he quietly developped, I heard NO negative comments about him during the hockey broadcasts.

It may have been that the media were more considerate towards the team and its players, I don't know... maybe they weren't as confrontational/sensational as they are now.

Thanks for that Shotcat. I certainly don't remeber Lafleur's first 3 seasons! What I meant is that a great player may not be that great right away in the NHL......he may require some time to develop. I get the feeling lots of people are expecting lots of things immediately for Crosby and probing closely for signs that he is a bust when in fact he may need some time but still end up great.

Originally posted by Rooster

Thanks for that Shotcat. I certainly don't remeber Lafleur's first 3 seasons! What I meant is that a great player may not be that great right away in the NHL......he may require some time to develop. I get the feeling lots of people are expecting lots of things immediately for Crosby and probing closely for signs that he is a bust when in fact he may need some time but still end up great.

I agree. I don't know if you remember Doug Wickenheiser (Montreal's 1st overall pick in 1980). He was pegged as the next Jean Beliveau and, when this didn't happen right away, the fans and media got on his case something fierce. Emotionally fried the guy. I guess that, after four cups in a row and six in the last decade, they wanted immediate results. Poor guy. I believe he could have been a very good one but he was never given the chance.

I hope the same doesn't happen to Crosby. I don't think it will though because the league needs for him to succeed so they'll ease up on him. Also, I believe his quiet, humble, unassuming (Gretzky-like) character will serve him well as he interacts with 'the powers that be'.

Woah... post # 666... sounds rather like a beastly number...

[Edited on 2005/9/25 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by shortcat1

This is sort of related since we're talking about this year's draftees.

Here's a sentence from a TSN article entitled, 'Backchecking: Treasure Island'. It's about Alex Bourret.

"- Alex Bourret returned to the QMJHL's from Atlanta Thrashers camp, has a mandate from the team to get in better shape if he's going to compete for an NHL job." Yuck.

Wasn't this the guy they absolutely wanted to have and trade up their first rounc pick twice? Let's hope the other guys were worth the trades if Bourret bombs.