Best Habs of the post-dynasty era

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Building on the previous topic about top-10 Habs of all time...

What happens if we start with Habs acquired AFTER 1980? Gimme at least your top-5. I say:

1. Patrick Roy. Hands down, of course.

2. Kirk Muller. His stint with us was short, but exceedingly sweet: he almost did as much as Roy to win us that Cup in 1993.

3. Guy Carbonneau. More on-ice smarts in one elbow than most players have in their whole bodies.

4. Mats Naslund. Too bad he did nothing in the '89 Finals, though.

5. I'll give Koivu a sentimental edge over Chelios and Bobby Smith. Others might disagree.

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Building on the previous topic about top-10 Habs of all time...

What happens if we start with Habs acquired AFTER 1980? Gimme at least your top-5. I say:

1. Patrick Roy. Hands down, of course.

2. Kirk Muller. His stint with us was short, but exceedingly sweet: he almost did as much as Roy to win us that Cup in 1993.

3. Guy Carbonneau. More on-ice smarts in one elbow than most players have in their whole bodies.

4. Mats Naslund. Too bad he did nothing in the '89 Finals, though.

5. I'll give Koivu a sentimental edge over Chelios and Bobby Smith. Others might disagree.

I can accept those names. Others to consider could be Mark Napier...or was he just before 1980?

Richer...50 goal scorer.

All in all, I think the five you listed could easily stand up, unless others refresh my memory. Other players like Leclair, didn't really totally blossom until after they left Montreal. I think the Montreal team of today may have some players who might fall into this category in another 10 years or so when we look back.

Good Post!!!

Very good list, of course. I like the addition of Richer. He did have an important impact, especially in his early days with the team.

I'll try and add a few.

Claude Lemieux

Rod Langway

Rick Green

Chris Nilan

Bobby Smith

Chris Chelios

Shayne Corson

Petr Svoboda

Ryan Walter

Craig Ludwig

Eric Desjardins

José Théodore

Mark Recchi

Craig Rivet

Pierre Turgeon

Vincent Damphousse

Mike Keane

Brian Skrudland

Mathieu Schneider

Obviously some of these are strongly debatable but, on the whole, their contributions were/are important at the time.

:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

Great lists guys (and gals)... as a 'younger' Habs fan you've inspired me to do a little research into some of these good 'ole boys...

I definitely agree with a Koivu inclusion, but perhaps a Theodore inclusion would be just as appropriate!

Go Habs Go!

Originally posted by HaliHab

Great lists guys (and gals)... as a 'younger' Habs fan you've inspired me to do a little research into some of these good 'ole boys...

I definitely agree with a Koivu inclusion, but perhaps a Theodore inclusion would be just as appropriate!

Go Habs Go!

"good 'ole boys'??? :o :o :o

Good grief! :nono: That was, at the most, 25 years ago. :o

It reminds me of a Pepsi add where the guy says: "I want to kick it old school. MC Hammer... old school? Crud, that was just 15 years ago. :?-

Sigh... :(

Where have all my years gone..., long time coming

Where have all my years gone..., long time ago.

Where have all my years gone..., to 'ole boys and old school, everyone.

I'll never get them back. I'll never get them back. :puke:

(Ohhh, my brittle old bones, my enlarged prostate, my diminishing libido, my shrivelled (you know what....) :lol:;):lol:;):lol:

[Edited on 2005/9/27 by shortcat1]