Defending Houle

Athlétique.Canadien

Originally posted by ~moeman

corey is almost as disgusting as ballard (minus the sex and crime scandals)

I'm not going to make a blanket judgement on Ronald Corey but I will defend him in that yes, he may not have been up to the task but, in no way should he be put in the same box as Harold Ballard.

Ballard was a mean-spirited man who would berate, in public, anyone in his organization that he didn't like.

He would trade someone at the drop of a hat just because the person didn't fit into his way of thinking. One of the best examples I know of is Laurie Boschman. This man was a Steve Bégin par excellence, one that every time Montreal played the Leafs, I dreaded to see him on the ice. He drove our players nuts. The reason Boschman was traded? He was an outspoken Christian. Ballard didn't want any religious wimp on his team. Interestingly, in 108 games with the Leafs (1980 & 1981), Boschman had 328 penalty minutes - not a wimp at all.

In any case, comparing Corey to Ballard is painting Ballard as a misguided but gentle shepherd. Corey had his faults as a President but a Ballard he wasn't.