September 28, 1972!!!

Brett38

watched it too, man oh man I still recall the glee it spread from our tv sets out the windows and filled the streets and the neighborhoods and the city, province and country in like a matter of minutes. This was way before the internet and instant information transmission but it was way more real somehow. It was a great moment of national pride!

I was working in the studio at CFCL TV in Timmins Ontario. We sat on chairs in the studio itself and watched the game (it was the afternoon for us).

I remember us being foolish (and not very kind, for that matter) making fun of the Russian names. There were a lot of 'ov's then - Kharlamov, etc. So, we made up names like 'Takeoff passes the puck to Buzzoff who shoots and misses. Oh... Falloff trips on the red line and slides into Slackoff's skates. The coach, Turnoff, can't seem to get his players motivated. He sends one of his players _ _ _ _ off to the showers. Another player is rebelling, I think it's Pissoff, etc, etc, etc.

But. the most memorable game for me, even though Canada lost it, was the first one, on September 2, 1972. That was the day of my wedding. I remember spending some of the wedding celebration time in front of the TV set while my new wife was with the guests.

Priorities, you know... ;) ;) ;)

Originally posted by shortcat1

I was working in the studio at CFCL TV in Timmins Ontario. We sat on chairs in the studio itself and watched the game (it was the afternoon for us).

I remember us being foolish (and not very kind, for that matter) making fun of the Russian names. There were a lot of 'ov's then - Kharlamov, etc. So, we made up names like 'Takeoff passes the puck to Buzzoff who shoots and misses. Oh... Falloff trips on the red line and slides into Slackoff's skates. The coach, Turnoff, can't seem to get his players motivated. He sends one of his players _ _ _ _ off to the showers. Another player is rebelling, I think it's Pissoff, etc, etc, etc.

But. the most memorable game for me, even though Canada lost it, was the first one, on September 2, 1972. That was the day of my wedding. I remember spending some of the wedding celebration time in front of the TV set while my new wife was with the guests.

You are the man!!

You do have your priorities down. Some of us probably wouldn't get away with that...haaa!

I remember spending some of the wedding celebration time in front of the TV set while my new wife was with the guests.

:clap::clap:Respect to you my friend:clap:

Your wife ever find out? If that would have been my gf:nono: .....my life would have ended there.

Originally posted by Brett38
Originally posted by Leafs Suck

9 years before I was born.

Probably just as sweet as 2002.

In my view it was much sweeter then 2002.

Anyone agree?

Now, don't get me wrong, 2002 was a great highlight in Canadian hockey for sure.

i really don't think it was, regardless of the fact that i didn't experience the 72 series as it was many years before i was born.

anytime you hear somebody talk about that series it seems much more significant and better than the 02 win.

Originally posted by Rooster

I remember spending some of the wedding celebration time in front of the TV set while my new wife was with the guests.

:clap::clap:Respect to you my friend:clap:

Your wife ever find out? If that would have been my gf:nono: .....my life would have ended there.

She knew about it but..... being the wise woman that she is... she figured that this guy (me) was more than worth (blow my own horn 'cause no one else will but my mommy) any thing that he (me) might decide to do (What a liar!!!!). So, when she signed on the dotted line :contract:, she accepted the small print too. (DISGUSTINGLY BIG LIAR!!!).

Yes, she really did know about it but she was so busy having fun that she didn't have time to worry about it (and that's my real story and I'm sticking by it). I didn't watch the whole game, by the way... I'm not THAT STUPID OR SUICIDAL.:nono::nono::nono: