Quirky fact

Capt.Crunch

I listened to the nhl network's 2001 draft overview this afternoon.

At the end of the report, you see Don Wadell (atlanta's GM) speaking with other teams about making a trade for his 1st round pick (Kovalchuk or Spezza at the time).

He finally decides, after a meeting, to keep his pick. The report ends on him telling to another GM on draft day that he had the best package but that he wasn't going to trade the pick after all.

That other GM was none other than Canadien's own André Savard! With George Gillett riding shotgun!

:o

I guess we'll just have to speculate what was that package! Would we have drafted Kovalchuk or Spezza (#1 and 2)Perhaps Mikko Koivu to keep the brother's tradition (left #6)?

:guru:

FYI: we had two 1st round draft picks that year (#7 and #25 from montreal), they were Komisarek and Perezhogin. We then went on to draft Duncan Milroy 37th, Thomas Plekanec 71st, Martti Jarventie 109th, Eric Himelfarb on 171th, Andrew Archer on 203rd and Viktor Ujcik on 266th.

On a more personal note, Jordon Tootoo was available in the 4th round! I always loved that guy!

hehehe, I guess you slept through the 2001 draft. Most people knew on that same day that the Habs and Savard made a strong strong push for the #1 overall pick and Kovalchuk. But, the fact is interesting anyways :)

Our offer was something like...

7th overall + 25th overall + Markov + Garon ... But Atlanta wanted Theodore instead.

[Edited on 2005-10-8 by puck7x]

Through the wonders of hindsight, I'm glad the trade didn't take place.

This is especially the case if the pick would have been Kovalchuck. I don't think it would have been good to have a neo-Yashin on our team. Even with Jason Spezza, I'm glad it didn't happen.

Neither of these guys are near worth Komisarek, Perezhogin, Markov & Bonk (and potentially Huet).

So, thank you Don.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I remember reading in the newspaper that we had made that offer but I forgot all about it. Would have been a good shot-term deal because Kovalchuk had an immediate impact on the league. Makes ya think if Kovalchuk would have lifted us over Carolina.