Luongo and Jokinen with mtl??

crazydoo

I had this thought reading thefourthperiod. com website. Luongo will not play with the Panthers ever again, therefore who would be their second choice? Probably Jose. We also need size in the forwards and i believe Olli Jokinen is underated, this guy is a superstar!. To even the trade up salary wise, i would be willing to trade a guy like Ryder or Plekanec along with Jose to make my team better now, next year guys like Latendresse and Kostsitsyn will be pushing.

What do you think any other suggestions?

What's with the Luongo won't play for the Panthers ever again? Is this news?

I know he doesn't seem to want to commit to them long term and that being that the Panthers might trade him this year (cause I figure he has more value this year then next -which is the year before he becomes a UFA). But they'll wait until his value is at the highest (closer til the end of year).

As for his bieng traded to the Habs, I would seriously doubt that. Don't think they would want an expensive older goalie to replace him. They are a team that is rebuilding (and even more so if they trade Luongo). They will be looking for teams with good young goalies at cheap salary plus some top prospects. Teams that would be interested would be contenders with weaker goalies that don't have huge salaries. I don't think that Montreal and Florida are natural partners at all for this trade. I could see Colorado, Vancouver, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. as more natural destinations if the Panthers decided to move him.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Jokinen a superstar? Dear god.

well... i wouldnt call him a super star but he does have 22pts.

True that he is a -5, but its not like he's playing with the greatest defense (aside from luongo). Also, he's only 27 yrs old and 6'3", 215lbs...

I can't see trading theo, ryder, +high level prospect for jokinen

For montreal:

-Moving theo is a serious move.

- luongo hasnt shown he can handle lower shot totals (to my knowledge)

- how would luongo handle the bigger spotlight?

-getting rid of wingers to further clog the center depth chart?

it would be like

Koivu

Jokinen

Bonk

Ribeiro

begin

plekanec (convertable)

higgins (convertable)

For fla:

- jokinen and lungo are very much the franchise. Would want a pretty sweet, young, cheap trade to make that happen.

-Do you think that theo will be any cheaper than luongo (although if luongo is set on leaving i guess salary is a secondary issue)

- if fla fancies themselves a low-end playoff contender, they have to believe that a) they will meet up quickly with montreal in the playoffs or B) they will battle montreal for one of those last spots

also, such huge trades are relatively rare

Look at his stats and tell me who played on his line to put up these points? 65 58 and 22 points so far for the 3 last years. He has no one to play with and his stats look a lot like Koivu. Plus I would really like to see another good Fin in our club to work with Koivu.

I don't believe salary is an issue right now, because in 1 uear or 2 Luongo will cost more than Theo. The other point that was brought up is that his value will be higher later, I don't believe so, tell me what upcoming goalie is more of a franchise gioalie than Theo beside Luongo. Finally If you play at center position, I believ you can play on the wings too.

Originally posted by crazydoo

I don't believe salary is an issue right now, because in 1 uear or 2 Luongo will cost more than Theo. The other point that was brought up is that his value will be higher later, I don't believe so, tell me what upcoming goalie is more of a franchise gioalie than Theo beside Luongo. Finally If you play at center position, I believ you can play on the wings too.

Salary is an issue for the Panthers. They would want a good, young, cheap goalie in return. Theo is not at all what they would want in return I would imagine. Remember, they are not contenders, they would want a goalie that will grow with the team not an expensive goalie who is at his prime at a time when the team is not. I'd suspect that if any Habs goalies would interest the Panthers, it would be C. Price....and he is too unproven to warrant trading Luongo over. You have to remember that lots of team's would be interested in Luongo and Florida will have choice. Montreal is not a natural partner for them right now.

[Edited on 2005/11/28 by Rooster]

While I might have considered trading Théo + package for Luongo + package last year, not anymore. There's no compelling evidence that Luongo would be better in Montreal than Théo. Nor do we need a younger goalie, since we have Price waiting for us.

(By the way, Gainey is a genius. We all wondered what he was smoking when he picked Price, but it looks now as though Price will be ready at a time when Théo will start slipping due to age... assuming Price works out, and we have no reason to think he won't, we're set in net for the next... 15 years? It's a comforting thought.)

Olli Jokinen is a whiner? Never heard anything about that.

Olli Jokinen is a superstar? Never heard anything about that, either.

Theodore for Luongo is a sideways move so why fix what ain't broke? It only risks screwing both teams. Ryder is the team's top scorer right now and we need goals. Why trade Plekanec? He's fast, hardworking, skilled and teams up perfectly with Higgins.

A bad trade. I'm against trading Theodore. I'm surprised he didn't go for a no trade clause with the endorsements he's getting in Quebec.

I can see Luongo being sent to the Rangers or to Philly and Florida getting back either Lundqvist or Nittymakki packages.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

I'm surprised he didn't go for a no trade clause with the endorsements he's getting in Quebec.

No trade clauses are prohibited under the new CBA. Those 110% freaks where quite hilarious when they were stating (back during the Theo negotiations this summer) that Theo's insistence on a no trade clause was what was holding the deal back.

Yep. thefourthperiod.com isn't a very credible site. Neither is hockeytraderumours. The only decent hockey information site I've found is Hockey's Future which tells you all about up-and-coming prospects.