Brisebois article

Habs77

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...912_200459_4240

brisebois_patrice240_246.jpg

Brisebois starts season of uncertainty

Patrice Brisebois is hoping for a fresh start to not only the season, but to his career as well.

MONTREAL (CP) - The future of defenceman Patrice Brisebois remains uncertain despite his having survived a summer filled with rumours of his impending departure from the Montreal Canadiens.

"All I can say is that he is here and in good physical condition," general manager Bob Gainey said on the opening day of training camp Friday. "As for the rest, we'll let you know if we make a trade."  

Brisebois, scorned by fans in the past, hit the ice with a shaved head, marking a clean start with the NHL team.

"I've wanted to do this for a long time," the 31-year-old said of his bald head. "At my age, you take all means to go faster."

Brisebois wouldn't say if he wanted to remain with the team.

"Right now, I'm here," he said, copying Gainey's approach. "It's important to start here and see where things go."

Brisebois said he worked hard in the off-season and will concentrate on helping the team.

"Whatever happens, happens," he said. "You can't wait for these type of things, otherwise you will be disappointed.

"I've focused my efforts on the things I needed to do this summer."

Brisebois said he had a good discussion with Gainey. While declining to go into detail, Brisebois said the GM was aware of his difficult situation.

As for the coming season, Brisebois said the team can do well if each player is 10 to 15 per cent better than last year. The return of imposing defenceman Sheldon Souray should help, he said, noting that comraderie must return among the players.

"I've often said that you can't do anything about the past, but you can do certain things about the future."