Calling Out The Slackers

smon

It's time to face some rather unfortunate facts. I've been a Kovalev and especially Koivu backer for a long time, but this is just too far. 10 wins in the last 31 games and no hope in sight. Coaches fired: 2, games over .500 since then: -1. And we all know the usual suspects who suck. :angry:

Frankly, the entire team has sucked. But let's give credit where credit is due to guys like Bulis and Huet. A four goal performance redeems you anyday..Now naturally these aren't the only slackers, but their play (or lack thereof) has caught my attention.

Koivu: A personal favourite of mine. The Habs slide has been parallel to the Leafs it seems, and Koivu like Leafs captain Sundin isn't doing anything on the ice. Plays aren't being made, and I don't know if the effort is there. I would never question his effort, but the main thing is the offense. No numbers from the first line means something is very wrong.

Kovalev: Don't get me started. He absolutely steals the show against Ottawa a month or so ago. And since then he's done nada. Zilch. Zero. He's pulling in the big bucks. He gets the puck and quickly gets rid of it when he thinks he might get hit. Is this the Alexander Mogilny syndrome? Put up big numbers, get guaranteed money and then sit back and relax?

Theodore: Yeah, we've heard it. We've seen it too many times: Theodore lets in a soft goal, the team sags, the game slips away. I'll leave it to Theo's words after being pulled after Vancouver: "It's not the first time I've been pulled and I don't think it will be the last time." Next day against Carolina - case in point.

Bonk: Ok, the argument now is that he's a defensive centre. Was Joe Juneau better? It's arguable. Look at how the penalty kill was among the best in the league. Now it's a joke. And where's the offense, damnit? All those 20 goal years in Ottawa seem to have gone out the window. He's getting second line minutes (17mins.)..yet he's put up some assists since Gainey took over and that's about it.

Dandenault: He tries to make things happen, that's the saving grace. His defensive play really is really lacking, especially his zone coverage. And obviously he's nothing offensively. But he's locked up for 4 years so we're going to have to learn to live with him. Brisebois saga part deux? I hope not.

Zednik: He's saving himself for the Olympics. No kidding. I mean come on..He's built like a horse, witness when Chris Neil ran him against Ottawa in the past. He got right up and hammered Neil. But does he ever take punishment and go towards the net anymore? Hell no.

Komisarek: He's not getting any younger. Tough personal stuff with his mother passing. But this is a cutthroat business. He's gotta play well, or like Marcel Hossa he'll show up in training camp and get passed over by even younger players. (Actually, the defensive prospect pipeline is pretty bare, but you never know.)

In general, the team's gotta get some confidence and take the punishment for going to the net. In Kovalev's case each game he's getting hammered and then he absolutely refuses to stay on the puck. Guys like McGrattan were doing that to him all last game. And who stood up for Kovalev? No one. That's as big of an indictment of the team as any.

Yeah Koivu Really looked like he was on roids :huh:

The team is just in a slump they will come out of it

weather or not they do before it is too late remains to be seen

but they will get out of it.

I would like to see Perez and Kostitsyn get their chance again to help pull the guys out of the funk. Ribiero and Zednick are the ones who could sit for a bit while the youngsters get their turn. Gainey & Carbo obviously

don't see things this way as Perez languishes in Hamilton and Kostitsyn has just landed.

I would like to see Perez and Kostitsyn get their chance again to help pull the guys out of the funk. Ribiero and Zednick are the ones who could sit for a bit while the youngsters get their turn. Gainey & Carbo obviously

don't see things this way as Perez languishes in Hamilton and Kostitsyn has just landed.

I got part of my wish last night, Zed was a spectator.. Ribiero actually was present in mind and in body against inferior talent, he earned his pay tonight.

I got part of my wish last night, Zed was a spectator.. Ribiero actually was present in mind and in body against inferior talent, he earned his pay tonight.

hmmmmm i'll grant the pay nothing more though! he was floating a couple of shifts there

Bonk is in pain I saw the taped game again he's got that weird grin of pain he puts when he's on the ice! I think he's groin is acting up (hell I hope im wrong)

Looking back I now were gonna be calling the 2005 - 06 season THE GROIN SEASON

Anti Slacker Downey! not a skilled player but liked his play on the ice and he looked like Langer on the bench never had his mouth shut he was chanting to all sides that was great made everyone around him interact or else... they were telling him to shut up!