Waiving The Waiver Rule

RobRock

The NHL and the Players' Association have finally seen the light and will rescind the ridiculous recall waiver rule effective next season. Shortly after that part of the new CBA had been announced, the Professional Hockey Players Association. which represents AHL players, had been upset with the rule, not only because their members were most affected by the rule yet were never consulted in its implementation, but they also argued that its wording meant that many AHL players in their prime were either forced to take a lower AHL salary, were going to be denied opportunities for recall, or would choose to play in Europe for more than the $75,000 recall limit. The PHPA even threatened legal action if the rule was not reconsidered.

As part of the deal, any AHL player who voluntarily took a pay cut to meet the $75,000 limit would have their original contracts honoured in full.

It was one of the oddest parts of the new CBA, one that I just couldn't see the purpose behind, or why the NHLPA would agree to. Did the NHL have that much power over them that they just said yes to anything in an effort to start the 05-06 season on time?

for what it's worth, it's too bad... hainsey could still have been ours and would still have been a possibility for us. :(

:king: :hlogo: :king:

for what it's worth, it's too bad... hainsey could still have been ours and would still have been a possibility for us. :(

I personally thought it was a good rule for [some] players, Ron Hainsey being a prime example. This guy was just not getting the chance he deserved within the Canadiens organization, and it was slowly destroying his career. Today, instead of wasting his time in the AHL, he's become a top 6 defenseman for the Blue Jackets, and was actually logging a lot of ice-time by the end of the season.

For his own good, I'm almost hoping that Kostsitsyn would somehow get claimed by a team that will give him a real chance; he spent the year on the Montreal-Hamilton shuttle bus, and considering that he played very well the last time he was called up, he certainly didn't deserve to be sent down once again.

Please don't say that. Kostitsyn is our best prospect, will be a regular this year and will certainly get his chance. If he got sent down and claimed off waivers (if he's even eligible) then Bob would never hear the end of it.

I personally thought it was a good rule for [some] players, Ron Hainsey being a prime example. This guy was just not getting the chance he deserved within the Canadiens organization, and it was slowly destroying his career. Today, instead of wasting his time in the AHL, he's become a top 6 defenseman for the Blue Jackets, and was actually logging a lot of ice-time by the end of the season.

For his own good, I'm almost hoping that Kostsitsyn would somehow get claimed by a team that will give him a real chance ; he spent the year on the Montreal-Hamilton shuttle bus, and considering that he played very well the last time he was called up, he certainly didn't deserve to be sent down once again.

Eeeyeck don't even wish for that ... he WILL get his shot w/ the Canadiens big team, I'm confident of that.

Edited by shortcat1

For his own good, I'm almost hoping that Kostsitsyn would somehow get claimed by a team that will give him a real chance; he spent the year on the Montreal-Hamilton shuttle bus, and considering that he played very well the last time he was called up, he certainly didn't deserve to be sent down once again.

WHAT THE HELL MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! :o Dont say that..... Higgs, Plex, and Perogie all had to wait until this season to get their chance at the NHL, they all spent their time in the system. Kosty is only like 20 or so... and didnt BG already say that he will most likely be on the Habs for good next year.

:hlogo:

Kostitsyn has only been in the system for a year. Besides, he's on a two-way contract, so the waiver rule wouldn't have applied anyway.

I didn't say I want him to go, just that he probably would be better for him to play elsewhere. Montreal doesn't have a very good tract record at developing skilled offensive players, mostly just low-scoring 2-way players.

All prospects selected before Kostsitsyn at the 2003 draft are NHL regulars, except for Coburn who got his chance, but wasn't quite ready yet; at least Atlanta was planning to make him a regular. Besides a few call-ups with very limited ice-time, Andrei didn't get his, even though he played very well for the few moments we saw him; this I think is unacceptable with a potentially top-end talent like Kostsitsyn, especially when you're playing musical chair with 4-5 forwards that just aren't getting the job done.

As before... the Canadiens have all the intentions of bringing Kostitsyn up in a slow & sure manner so as to get him ready for the needs of the NHL level of play. The key word here is sure. He WILL surely get his shot. Hainsey got his shot, Hossa got his shot... they didn't 'cut it' as far as the Canadiens management was concerned. Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin got their shots... they did 'cut it'.

Kostitsyn already got some shots and showed promise. He will be brought in. I'm confident of that. He's only 21. He's got lots of time.

You don't develop good offensive players - goal scoring and the knack for reading the offensive side of the game is basically a natural born skill.

You can't teach a pylon to skate......

Players who score, or are set up men are not taught that skill - they either have it or they don't!

You teach good offensive players to play a solid two way game if they want to succeed in the NHL.

There have been a lot of pure goal scorers in junior who were not that successful after being drafted.

It happened because all through their career all they had to do was score - and it wasn't that hard as they were the elite in their league.

Suddenly at the NHL level they are expected to compete with the elite only and they have to play a two way game to do so!

It's a good rule as applied to a player being sent down. But for the player being called up, it makes no sense. If you're being called up, you're obviously getting your chance... and the rule applied to those who are sent down acts as a disincentive for the team to send you back down. But the rule for those being called up acts as a disincentive to call them up in the first place.

It's a good rule as applied to a player being sent down. But for the player being called up, it makes no sense. If you're being called up, you're obviously getting your chance... and the rule applied to those who are sent down acts as a disincentive for the team to send you back down. But the rule for those being called up acts as a disincentive to call them up in the first place.

True, but every system has its pros and cons; the system worked well for Hainsey, but not so much for Mogilny.

My guess is that the NHL wanted to implement a system in which big market teams could not sign a lot of NHL regulars, and "stock" them up in the AHL in case of injuries. Any decent player will get picked if the team must only assume half his salary.

But what are the chances of a team signing a bunch of NHL regulars and getting them to their AHL team in the first place? That's where the waiver process is supposed to work, mostly to the benefit of the player, as he gets an opportunity to play at the NHL. Mogilny's contract was the major deterrent in why no one claimed him when the Devils sent him to Albany. If they had tried to recall him, then his contact is cut in half and he probably would have been claimed by someone.