Ribeiro & Juneau out, 7 defensemen will dress

Habs77

http://www.habsworld.net/show_news.php?id=185

He and Perreault have been playing very well together... go figure.

So that leaves us with more or less:

Zednik-Koivu-Ryder

Sundstrom/Kilger-Perreault-Dagenais

Bulis-Juneau-Dackell

Langdon-Begin-Sundstrom/Kilger

I don't agree with this at all, but hey what's new.

Julien might want to try more size up front, but at the cost of leaving some skill on the bench.

That's the problem wiht the Habs roster... size and skill are mutually exclusive.

[Edited on 3-12-03 by Habs77]

Aie.. that's soo sad! Replace Ribeiro with Juneau? You have to be kidding?? Juneau has NO strenght in his arm, in his legs. He cannot follow the play. I know he is the wiser man in the NHL.. but i'm starting to think he's not. Or if he's that wise, he doesn't have team spirit. Why would he accepts that Ribeiro (our #1 forward) be out of the lineup SO he can play and -help- the Habs to win?

Maybe it's a move by Julien or Gainey to see Juneau's level of team spirit ?? Then if Juneau let this happen (let Ribs be out of the lineup so he can play) he'd be sent down to Hamilton. Because that move makes no sense.

And also, why Julien would have told Ribs this? To shake Ribeiro? To test Juneau? I don'T understand why that news could have come out:?-

To me Julien had already decided to bench Ribeiro tonight... he said his reason is that Ribeiro is staying on the ice too long and needs to shorten his shifts.

That decision made, now Julien learns Juneau is hurt and might not be able to play. So he let's Ribeiro know that normally he won't play, but if Juneau can't play then he would play after all.

So is not about testing Juneau or Ribeiro, it's more about teaching Ribeiro a lesson... shorten your shifts OR ELSE.

Me thinks Julien is just looking for reasons to bench people right now, since he has too many bodies. It was only a matter of time before it was Ribeiro's turn... since how a player is doing seems to have little to do with whether they get benched or not.

If that was the case, Zednik & Rivet would have skipped a few games themselves by now.

The story at the top of the thread has been updated...

Juneau can't go but Julien decided to bench Ribeiro anyway... it seems the Habs will play 7 defensemen and one of them will play at forward.

kudos to cj sure took alot of guts to bench ribs,i think this will light a fire under ribs and he will score next game and shorten his shifts of course,me thinks its cj way of saying im the boss,and he got a w so the media wont have as much to say although im sure they took it like gretsky was benched,i thoght begin did jj job.now if we could cull some checks off this roster we might actually surprize us all

When i heard Ribs wasnt playing, i said to myself, Julien is just looking for a ticket out of town making stupid move after stupid move.

But if the whole long shift story is true, I congratulate Julien for making the move! If Ribs wont lesson then he sits. Good for the coach to let the team know whos boss.

Lets just hope it doesnt affect Ribeiros play.

And how about that top line!!!! They're looking good!

Ryder 3 points back of king for the Rookie lead, maybe a Calder winner for the habs??? haha ( long season yet though)

:ghg:

If Ribeiro had ignored repeated warnings from Julien then I can understand the decision.

I also think that the fact the media got into such an uproar about it... that it forced Julien to keep him OUT even when Juneau ended up not being fit to play, despite the fact that early reports suggested Julien told Ribeiro he would play if Juenau couldn't.

Because if Ribeiro did end up playing, it would look like the media pressured Julien into changing his mind... and I know for a fact that Gainey doesn't even want there to be the appearance that the media can influence what his team will do.

I also think most of the vets, especially Koivu & Zed, don't particularly appreciate how the media favors Ribs... or even how the fans started chanting "Ribeiro" during the PP.

I think that pisses 'em off, and it's no coincidence they came up with their best game of the year on this night.

The even scored the PP goal just seconds after the crowd chanted "Ribeiro"... that sure shut them up.

P.S. This team has an overabundance of of LWers, but quite short on worthy RWers. And yet they're using their 2 nest RWers on the 1st line... it's ironic, and it's forcing them to use the likes of Dagenais who isn't exactly standing out.

That said, that 1st line is looking pretty good... I wouldn't change it either. It just sucks that all our depth is at LW, and all our centers are left shots too.