Gainey interview during Dallas Game on RDS

Spider-Man NL

Gainey gave a nice and surprisingly open interview during the Dallas game on RDS.

He said he has now had time to assess the team, that it took a little longer because the captain Saku missed all of training camp.

He is generally pleased, the next step is for the team to learn to put a few wins in arow together, to move up a couple of steps and give itself some breathing room.

Asked to name the pleasant surprises for him so far, he said first on his list were players he did not know too much about, but have been doing well. He named Ribs, Ryder and, surprise, Markov. He then added the obvious name, Souray, and then Theo's stellar play despite last Summer's events.

Where he was surprisingly candid was when asked about whether he is trying to improve the team.He said they now know where they have holes and are looking to fill them. He said he was involved in talks before X-Mas, but that things have quieted down over the Holidays.

He then went as far as giving one example of a hole he is trying to fill, noting that the team has no center shooting from the right side and that getting one would be a nice improvment...

Let the speculation begin!

- Lang (5M) is producing, might be available since the Caps are looking to cut payroll... he's a big right-shooting center.

- Arnott (3.85M) is another big center, shoots right

- forget Vinny guys, he shoots left ;)

- the recently rumored Peca (4.25M) is another, and Gainey said he did have some trade talks earlier but they have died down now... so that rumor might have been true, the deal just fell through or the talks simply never went that far

- Smolinski (2.65M)

- Mike Fisher (1M)

- Ian Laperriere (900k) was rumoured as a possibility to sign here as a UFA... he's listed as a RW, but I thought he was a center too. If so, good cheap defensive center.. and ask Savage if he can hit. Not much offense though.

That's about it in centers who shoot right and that aren't smaller than the guys we presently have... slim pickings indeed.

In our own stable... Hossa, Bulis, Higgins, Plekanec, Urquhart, Locke all shoot left.

Maxim Lapierre (6'2'' 180lbs '85), Andre Deveaux (6'5'' 220lbs '84) are the only two centers who shoot right... and with Deveaux I'm already reaching here.

[Edited on 1-1-04 by Habs77]

3 games ago, we were playing against Carolina, and with .6 seconds left in the third period (were were all tied up 1-1), we were in the offensive zone on the right faceoff circle. However, we couldn't do anything except shoot, and all of our centres were left-shots.

The CJAD announcers spoke of moving Ryder to centre to take the draw, but for some strange reason, BG didn't listen to them.

However, it is quite true that we need a right-shooting centre. Koivu, Ribeiro, Perreault, Juneau, Begin, Kilger all shoot left.

I still would like to see Arnott in Montreal, but I realise now that with Koivu and Ribeiro cemented as our top 2 Centres for the next 5 years (although that's just my opinion), he would not enjoy playing 3rd line DEFENSIVE centre on an offensively-challenged team.

And Lang won't go anywhere while his hot streak continues

I would love to see Trevor Linden back in a Canadiens jersey, but it won't never happen. :D

Chad Kilger could be also on his way out of Montréal, he didn't even played against the Stars, so I think he will be tradet soon. The same for Audette, I think he won't play again for the HABS. There are some rumours that they will trade Patrik Stefan for Donald Audette but Stefan is a much overrated player and he really won't help the team. They should better play with Saku and Ribeiro as the first 2 centers and keep Perreault for the faceoffs and the PP. Joé Juneau and Steve Bégin are both very good defensive fowards, so why getting another center?

Teams also have to think ahead... next year, or perhaps even sooner, Perreault, Kilger & Juneau will be gone.

Bégin is out for months, ditto Gratton.

Koivu is an injury waiting to happen, as always.

Plus all of the centers I've mentionned are left shots, Gainey wants a righty in there to balance things out... it's important in certain faceoff situations.

I hope we get to see more of Plekanec... he's a talented SOB, just hope he can be used in more of an offensive role or we'll never see it.

Originally posted by habsfannr1

Why [get] another center?

Apart from the reasons given by Habs77 (that they're either all injured, or the living dead), and that we have no right-shooting centres, you can also look at the consistency and careers of the centres.

Kilger was brought back at $800K a year, and (IMO) isn't even earning that. He will either be traded this year, or go during the summer. We have plenty of prospects on Hamilton looking to try their hand at this game we call "NHL hockey". He is terribly inconsistent, and bears the name of "shrug" (given by a well-known/read game reporter :/) ).

Juneau, on the other hand has, back problems. He's been holding up now, although has to take the occasional break. However, his back could take a turn for the worst any moment now. He'll be let loose after this season, leaving the 3rd line Centre spot open. I'd be more than happy to see Begin occupy that until we get a Bobby Holik (minus the salary) / Mike Ricci / Ian Laperriere to fill the gap.

However, with the multitude of players expected to leave after this season, it will be interesting to see what BG does to retain their services ( God help us) or bring in other replacements that the Rookies can't fill