A For Souray?

rock_billy69

Kovalev is better than Souray, although it is hard to compare players who play different positions....

But Captaincy is decided by leadership mainly. The player who wears the C or the A's are not necessarily the most talented players on the team, but they are more so the player's who are willing to give the extra effort for their team, protect their teammates, and just be good role models. Souray, by judgement of his attitude, should deserve that A over Kovalev... Although I never complained about Kovy having it to start with.

IMO i think Kovalev is better

Souray is good at some points, but also makes big mistakes, I think Kovy should have A ( he was the capatain of the Russian olympic team!!!)

Edited by Shu

Kovalev is known for taking some games off, not exactly someone you want the young guys to look up to in that sense. (Not to knock on him too much though, he has an insane amount of talent).

Souray is a strong guy and he's been on the team for about 7 years now I think? Something like that anyway.

Also, think you could edit your post and title and spell his name right? Only one "r" in his name. :)

Kovalev is known for taking some games off, not exactly someone you want the young guys to look up to in that sense. (Not to knock on him too much though, he has an insane amount of talent).

Souray is a strong guy and he's been on the team for about 7 years now I think? Something like that anyway.

Also, think you could edit your post and title and spell his name right? Only one "r" in his name. :)

True, True... He also doesnt back-check sometimes <_<

Precisely.

I have a feeling that Sheldon is more well liked by his teammates in terms of his leadership qualities. The reason Kovalev would be Russian captain is his experience - but for the Habs anyway, they need a leader who isn't afraid to help out the captain by stepping up in the room and doing certain things - taking players aside, that sort of thing. And chances are Kovalev isn't that kind of a guy.

He may be more liked,

but i don't think it's such a good idea to give a guy who makes that many defensive errors the responsibility of being someone that others look up to

He may be more liked,

but i don't think it's such a good idea to give a guy who makes that many defensive errors the responsibility of being someone that others look up to

lol, so in otherwords both Kovalev and Souray don't deserve it then. I actually don't disagree with this, but I believe Souray got it given to him because of the time he's been on the team now. He's been here longer than Kovalev, so he has the seinority.

Honestly though, I always believed Begin would be a top candidate for an 'A'. Higgins will definitely have one in the future, but it's a bit too early for him right now.

Either way, I'm sure Souray will do a good job with it, even if he makes some defensive mistakes. When he talks in the dressing room, I'm sure everyone will be listening. He's like Joe Cool. Heh.

Anyway, Carbo knows what he's doing :D.

Sorry we have a little inside joke with some friends and we call him Sorry cuz of his habit to make mistakes.

lol, so in otherwords both Kovalev and Souray don't deserve it then. I actually don't disagree with this, but I believe Souray got it given to him because of the time he's been on the team now. He's been here longer than Kovalev, so he has the seinority.

Honestly though, I always believed Begin would be a top candidate for an 'A'. Higgins will definitely have one in the future, but it's a bit too early for him right now.

Either way, I'm sure Souray will do a good job with it, even if he makes some defensive mistakes. When he talks in the dressing room, I'm sure everyone will be listening. He's like Joe Cool. Heh.

Anyway, Carbo knows what he's doing :D.

Yeah but if not kovy or souray .... Who?

I think Sheldon deserves it and people gotta realize that he doesnt make THAT many mistakes. Alot of people overexaggerate on how many he seems to make. One person who I do think deserves the A is Begin.

:hlogo:

I think both are good choices. But making a case for Kovalev - when he's truly determined, he's as good a leader as you can get. A motivated Kovy can score almost at will. Captained Team Russia. Lots of experience, a Stanley Cup win, played with the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr and Messier. A guy worthy of the A.

I think both are good choices. But making a case for Kovalev - when he's truly determined, he's as good a leader as you can get. A motivated Kovy can score almost at will. Captained Team Russia. Lots of experience, a Stanley Cup win, played with the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr and Messier. A guy worthy of the A.

Kovalev dosent play like he cares for the habs he's just rolling in the checks...if he would play a la briere game in game out...it would be a whole different ball game...puck game

all good points but an assistant capatian has to be a father like model to other players- is he that? i dunno. it dont make much difference in my eyes anyway.

Kovalev dosent play like he cares for the habs he's just rolling in the checks...if he would play a la briere game in game out...it would be a whole different ball game...puck game

I know what you mean, but I think at the moment he is playing with a minor nagging injury (charleyhorse?)....don't know how much this is affecting him physically, but I don't think he's all there yet mentally.......I thought the home opener on Saturday would wake him up, but he appeared to be floating most of the game.....Hate to say this but I think we need Tucker to take another run at him to get him going!

come on guys! kovalev tried to play well vs the sens. but sens players did a great job on him : he was like THE ONE to STOP on the ice... sens did a great job by neutralizing him... do u really think that kovalev is NOT on the other's team game plan?

Sorry we have a little inside joke with some friends and we call him Sorry cuz of his habit to make mistakes.

Yeah but if not kovy or souray .... Who?

Hehe, Sorry as his nickname eh, not bad.

If you read my post again, you'll see that I'd pick Begin over those 2 to recieve the 'A' :D.

I think it may be a good idea for Kovalev to get the A back the Canadiens have so many Russian's and Russian speaking players that it may be a good idea for them to have someone with a letter on their jersey that can speak their same language as Perezhogin and Markov are still learning English.

come on guys! kovalev tried to play well vs the sens. but sens players did a great job on him : he was like THE ONE to STOP on the ice... sens did a great job by neutralizing him... do u really think that kovalev is NOT on the other's team game plan?

exactly...knowing that i would be even more motivated...i mean id be on the ice and "oh yeah think you can stop my beaming lasers??? " n e ways you get the point? it would just motivate me

I'm almost certain that the 'A' is a more of a formality than a true rank. The leaders on the team are well known, just because someone doesn't wear's an 'A' doesn't mean he is not a leader on the team. These guys a professionals and are not really affected by those things. The 'A' (correct me if I am wrong) is issued to a player who has the right to approach the ref while on the ice, so it is logical to assume that it will be given to a player receiving a large prtion of ice time. I rarely see Kovy talking to refs, so I can understand why it may be removed from him from time to time. Just a thought...

I'm almost certain that the 'A' is a more of a formality than a true rank. The leaders on the team are well known, just because someone doesn't wear's an 'A' doesn't mean he is not a leader on the team. These guys a professionals and are not really affected by those things. The 'A' (correct me if I am wrong) is issued to a player who has the right to approach the ref while on the ice, so it is logical to assume that it will be given to a player receiving a large prtion of ice time. I rarely see Kovy talking to refs, so I can understand why it may be removed from him from time to time. Just a thought...

the A stands for *assistant-captain* and i think it's more like when the captain is not on the ice (for example, he is in the penalty box, or injured, or on the bench) at THAT moment, then the assistant captain is the one who has the rights and mission to talk to the referees and report it to the coach etc.

and i think that they (captain and assistant-captain) should be *close* to each other... that's why maybe rivet got the A? :P

seriously, rivet and souray are leaders, not as much as saku, but i'm sure in the room, they r very appreciate from the other players... except maybe when they do SOME mistakes in defense :P hehe