A For Souray?

rock_billy69

I'm almost certain that the 'A' is a more of a formality than a true rank. The leaders on the team are well known, just because someone doesn't wear's an 'A' doesn't mean he is not a leader on the team. These guys a professionals and are not really affected by those things. The 'A' (correct me if I am wrong) is issued to a player who has the right to approach the ref while on the ice, so it is logical to assume that it will be given to a player receiving a large prtion of ice time. I rarely see Kovy talking to refs, so I can understand why it may be removed from him from time to time. Just a thought...

and yes in hockey people are affected by leadership, why do you think the Pens did so bad last season, lack of leadership because they had so many young guys, plus they didnt even have a captain.

Souray is a great leader. Who else stands up for his teammates any more than Sheldon. So he makes some defensive mistakes from time to time. Name a defensman who doesn't. His big shot on the PP and his toughness are well worth the occasional brain cramps.

I may be wrong on this, but I think Souray and Kovalev alternate - if they don't this season, I'm pretty sure they did last season. One of them wears it on the road, the other at home, I think. Can't remember where I read that.

And once last year, I recall Souray had the RDS mic on his jersey - by far the funniest guy on the team, most encouraging of his teammates. Saku congratulates people, but he's very straight (I think because English is not his first language, it's harder to be loose).

Never saw a game with him on the mic, but Rivet is very polite, kind of like a butler in personality. I'm glad Souray's in the mix to keep things interesting.

Sorry to disagree brboo ans Oleg Petrov (nice name by the way) I don't see any evidence that Souray is a good leader. Either is Rivet, or Begin for that matter. Would you agree that Boiullon, Souray, Rivet, Markov, Koivu. Begin and to some extent Ryder have been the core of this team for the past 3-5 years? Others have left obviously. So what have these guys lead this team to? The best is 2 second rounds and at best there were a 7 seed. The Second Round playoffs were like it or not only due to incredible goaltending. This Includes the seasons they made it the playoffs.

Koivu is the only true leader on this team and that's the problem. Look at the teams record when he is out. This stat also includes Markov. The team is way under 500 when these 2 or not in the lineup.

Souray and Rivet are not tough. They loose way too many 1 on 1 battles. They punch people after the whistle, taking too many penalties. They do get in an occaisional fight that is true. Who cares if they say the right things, leaders perform on and off the ice. There liabilities far outweigh there benefit to this team.

I may be wrong on this, but I think Souray and Kovalev alternate - if they don't this season, I'm pretty sure they did last season. One of them wears it on the road, the other at home, I think. Can't remember where I read that.

And once last year, I recall Souray had the RDS mic on his jersey - by far the funniest guy on the team, most encouraging of his teammates. Saku congratulates people, but he's very straight (I think because English is not his first language, it's harder to be loose).

Never saw a game with him on the mic, but Rivet is very polite, kind of like a butler in personality. I'm glad Souray's in the mix to keep things interesting.

I remember when Saku was mic'd in a game last year and Streit (I think) Scored a goal, Saku came over and said "Great F_cking Shot". I don't know that seems pretty loose to me :)

I remember when Saku was mic'd in a game last year and Streit (I think) Scored a goal, Saku came over and said "Great F_cking Shot". I don't know that seems pretty loose to me :)

When I said Koivu was straight, I didn't mean it as much of a knock...just that you know what he's going to say before he says it. Souray, on the other hand, was cracking me up. Not that that makes him much of a leader or anything, just a good guy to have around.