An American

Ribeiro

After making a thread about Tillman the NFL player who scarificed his life for what he believed in on another forum, I received this from someone through Private Messenger:

"Well I don't know if your from Canada or not (never know with the internet) I want to thank you for the respect you have showed for Tillman on the foru.

"I lost allot of respect for your country when the people booed our national anthem and booed the kids who went up to play hockey at some all star game. It really made me mad.

But hopefully I can think more about those of you who know the sacrifices the men and women of the armed forces. That they have done allot of good for several countries many times over.

It truly hurts my soul when I hear of our boys and girls getting killed. I hate the feeling. But I hope one day it all will stop. Until that day, I will stand beside them with all my support.

Tanks for all the kind words again. Not sure it means anything to you, but it made me feel a little better."

Surprised, I replied:

"Do not get discouraged by those that boo the national anthem and attacked the pee-wee hockey team.

I assure you they are just a select few out of the many, many Quebecois out there.

Unfortunately, this isn't very clear.

Don't blame all of Canada. Those 2 incidents happened in the Province of Quebec, and just Quebec. A very politically split province from the rest of Canada."

You think I handled that correctly? I was surprised that Americans think of us that way.

I do think that many Americans generalize the bad they hear and apply it to all of Canada. I hate that fans booed the US anthem, but I am sure Americans are just as stupid and sometimes boo the Canadian anthem. In both cases I am sure it is just a small, but loud, minority. I do not like the political leadership In Quebec, but I don't harass people of the area because of it.

It is indeed sad that our two neighboring nations seem to get along so poorly.

It's easy to blame Quebec lol. Like if every ontarians were US lovers.. yeah, sure. There's people in every countries, every canada's provinces, that are jealous of the americans, or can have angry for some reasons. As I know, it was the Canada who didn't want to back the US in the last war. Quebec didn't had a word to say. And after all, Quebec-US economy and relations links are the strongest of any others provinces in Canada. You can say what you want, but fans in Montreal are recognized to be passionated, and they don't hesitate to boo the other team and national anthem. They even boo their own players.. so, how do you want the Bell Centre to control them all? I'd never boo an anthem, pretty classless imo. But I don't like people making a story around that. It's a sports show, period. If people want to bash againts the anti-us movement in Quebec and Canada, they have to watch and analyse the big manifestations in the streets that regulary happen, and talk about that. But live the sports alone. Sports is a key in the globalization process anyways.. just look at the teams rosters. It's unifying the countries, not dividing. So, to all political trash talkers, leave the sports alone. BTW, when will they stop signing the anthems? They should only sing the Home anthem, or sign them all.

Don't blame all of Canada. Those 2 incidents happened in the Province of Quebec, and just Quebec. A very politically split province from the rest of Canada.  

- hehe lol. "Just Quebec"

- If Quebec is a "very split province", why there's no politicians who wants to say it? Meech, Charlottetown... big failures. No recognition for Quebec. Long story, nothing to do with sports.

I do not like the political leadership In Quebec, but I don't harass people of the area because of it.  

- I don't like them either hehe.

Something that people always leave out when they bring up the incident when the American pee-wee's were boo'ed is that they drove right through an Anti-War rally in a bus that had American symbols all over it....

Does it make the boo'ing right? No... But what else were they expecting? to be cheered?

It was fluke timing, and now its a black mark on Quebec.

I am American and I despise oversized gas guzzlers. I like my Toyota Corolla that gets 40 miles per gallon. Solid.

I realize there are nations that don't like the US, such as France, but I don't think most hate us. If everyone hates the US, then why do they come here?

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

But when they come here and get their citizenship, they too are now Americans, just of another descent.

And this is why you have to worry about the enemy within. Don't know how y'all goin to do it but you have to clean up your act on the world scene. The rest of the world doesn't want to be policed by you. Wish I had an answer for you, but to start with get the guns out of the common peoples hands. This may save you from the eventual down fall of your government and the anarchy that will ensue. If you don't believe read some history books re. other countries that became empires. Rome, England, Germany, they all fell in a short period of time, all their citizens were overly patriotic and gave their leaders blind following. Solve your own problems and then maybe you can look at the worlds. Start with a legitimate election for President and go from there. And stop with the damn flag waving would you, step back and look and you will see it ain't all good.

I have to add that I have travelled USA extensively and it is a very beautiful country with many good people. It's the collective that scares me. I ask...My country right or wrong? The answer should be NO...Right, my country or not. Peace

At this stage of the game, taking guns out of the hands of the common man is going to do absolutely nothing. If they do this, then the only people with guns will be the police, who can't be everywhere at once, and the criminals. People will not be able to defend themselves when people attack them and enter their homes. I agree there should be strict rules on who gets guns, but eliminating guns is not the answer.

If the US were truly policing the world, why don't we do anything about the fighting in places like Russia and India? Right now we are policing countries who have ties to terrorism, that is a direct threat to the US. The Iraq links are there, you just have to search for them. The liberal media does a good job trying to hide links that have been made between Al-Queda and Iraq. There is also evidence, although it has not been brought to the attention of the mainstream, that France aided Iraq in moving illegal weapons. These may not have been WMD, that much is not known. The US may not have been totally right to go to Iraq, but they were not wrong either.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

If the US were truly policing the world, why don't we do anything about the fighting in places like Russia and India?  

simple answer- THEY HAVE WoMD

...but yes you are right that eliminating guns wouldn't solve the problems, but gun control has to be addressed, nra be damned, the king isn't about to attack.

Wish I had answer but alas... glad to live north of the boarder where a murder anywhere makes national news. Not sure what it is but our forefathers did something right. But hey, when ever you guys decide to we will gladly let you join, divide you into 10 provinces and call Alaska a Territory. We promise a better crop of young hockey talent from your youth, a tim's on every corner (much better and cheaper than Starbucks) and beer that will actually sit you down (though it will set you back a bit more dough). Ah and don't forget the medical. So on election day just cross out the names (not sure how with your dang punch out system) and right in I want us to join Canada eh. If enough of you do it we will all sleep better at night.

i kinda think that the americans have a bigger problem with the french than they do with americans... The french, and much of the world, has a problem with the US government, not so much with americans. I often get the feeling that americans make this stuff much more personal than others. I am dual citizen american and canadian and I certainly do not hate america or americans, although I must admit I am sometimes disturbed by American government and some american societal tendancies. American culture is very pervasive throughout the world, so I find it dificult to make an argument that people dislike americans, but I think they are mostly confused by a lot of the political ideology.

One must admit it is a bit insulting when americans claim the most fair judicial system, the greatest healthcare system, the highest level of democracy and so forth...

Again, I repeat I am an american citizen and am quite happy to be one.

their was never this anti-americanism under clinton or any other us president. bush has destroied american foreign policy and have made alot of new enemies. i bet if kerry or gore was president, you would have seen a huge colilation go into iraq. americans aren't hated, it's the bush government. if kerry is elected, it'll go back to normal.

I can't even imagine how Gore would have handled things after 9-11. Bush may not be liked, but I think he is the better man for the job he is doing, fighting terrorism. Gore probably would have just told the terrorists to stop, and it would have kept happening until he was completely forced to do something about it.

from everything i've heard from richard clarke, paul o'neill and bob woodward, it doesn't sound like bush is handling it anydifferent than what gore would have done.

i don't see exactly what bush is doing thats so great. he is hurting the war on terrorism by being in iraq under these circumstances. it's creating more terrorists and more anti-americanism in the arab world.

• 2 weeks later...

The US has to stop backing Israel so much. That is the reason why US is so deep in the holy war, when they shouldn't even be involved. Israel is just as violent and more greedy than the surrounding nations. They've conquered land and maybe even used the US to their advantage.

Bush should start funding Hydrogen cars. Once they come out, we have no need for oil or the middle east.

As sad as that sounds.

:can: