Trades/Players

GoHabs2002

Here is what i would not be dissappointed at if the habs were to do this summer:

-trade up to get Zherdev, or trade down to get an NHL player and draft Bernier.

-trade for Tvedovsky (especially if it will be made easier if the devils dont offer a contract to) (

-trade for Matvichuk

-sign Jarvis as an assistant coach

some ideas:

-trade dykhaus,hossa and our tenth for ryan smyth and the oilers' 17th pick, to choose Bernier. ( i dont see how we could trade up with any team, and oilers may want to dump even more salary looking at their restricted free agents.)

-trade our third this year and swith fourths next year for matvichuk

-trade our second this year and a second next year for tvedovsky.

-trade brisebois to tb (if the smythe trade dont work) for modin and a 2nd rounder in 04.

trade brisebois to anyone for picks if the smythe trade happens.

-trade one of czerk or audette for a pick.

<i>-trade dykhaus,hossa and our tenth for ryan smyth and the oilers' 17th pick, to choose Bernier. ( i dont see how we could trade up with any team, and oilers may want to dump even more salary looking at their restricted free agents.)</i>

This trade doesnt help the Oilers , first of all its NOT fair value for Ryan Smyth (take out Dykhuis from our side and the Oilers 1st and its fair) ,...

And it also doesnt help the Oilers cut *much* salary...

Smyth - 3 million

---

Hossa - 1 million

Dykhuis - 1.5

I'd love to get Smyth though :D

<i>-trade our third this year and swith fourths next year for matvichuk</i>

I think it'll take more to get Matvichuk , at least a 2nd.

<i>-trade our second this year and a second next year for tvedovsky. </i>

Could happen , his value is at an alltime low...

<i>-trade brisebois to tb (if the smythe trade dont work) for modin and a 2nd rounder in 04.

trade brisebois to anyone for picks if the smythe trade happens. </i>

TB gets ripped off! Brisebois for Modin AND a 2nd? Why is Tampa throwing in a 2nd? They're the guys taking on Brisebois's huge salary (which they cant afford) , we should be adding more to our side.

<i>-trade one of czerk or audette for a pick.</i>

Czerkawski should be traded before Audette is , at least Audette is in the NHL... :)

BTW : What are the details of the Zherdev (pick to get Zherdev) trade?

[Edited on 2003/6/11 by puck7x]

What are the details of the Zherdev (pick to get Zherdev) trade?

thats just it, i cant see how we could get so high to actually draft him. One of the top 3 team as it stands now will draft him. My guess would be pittsburgh, so we would have to trade for one of those picks, but I dont have any idea who would it be or who we'd give up, i dont htink we have the available players to pull it off or the willingness to trade the players that would pull it off.

My thinking around the oilers trade is that, with comrie,isbister, horcoff, laraque even, smith and smyth as RFA's and Marchant as UFA, the oilers would need loose one of those. (especially if they want to resign Marchant, which i hear they will try to, and wouldnt be surprised if they did, do) Smith is their captain and rock on d since niinimaa left.

Seeing a shot at getting a better draft pick and save at least a million dollars(counting next year's salaries) and Lowe would be able to sign them all.

I was hoping Carter would still be there this summer so we could throw perreault in a package for him, but the New York jumped everyone in a steal. Dvorak should shine on the ice but his knees are questionalbe and Cross may leave as a free agent.

EIther way with Mactavish coming back tomorrow, im sure he got assurances that the team will stay as is waiting for a new CBA.

So throw that one out the window.

TB gets ripped off! Brisebois for Modin AND a 2nd? Why is Tampa throwing in a 2nd? They're the guys taking on Brisebois's huge salary (which they cant afford) , we should be adding more to our side.

I heard TB would look for a power play QB this summer even if it did include taking on salary, so how about one for one. (even if we have to pick something up, modin is big and might help us, its a chance but heck, he might stick to the leafs, like leclair did us)

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

Here is what i would not be dissappointed at if the habs were to do this summer:

1.) trade up to get Zherdev, or trade down to get an NHL player and draft Bernier.

2.) trade for Tvedovsky by trading our second this year and a second next year for tvedovsky.

3.) trade for Matvichuk by trading our third this year and swith fourths next year

4.) sign Jarvis as an assistant coach

5.) trade dykhaus,hossa and our tenth for ryan smyth and the oilers' 17th pick, to choose Bernier.

6.)trade brisebois to tb (if the smythe trade dont work) for modin and a 2nd rounder in 04.

7.) trade brisebois to anyone for picks if the smythe trade happens.  

8.)trade one of czerk or audette for a pick.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o:o :o :o:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

OK.

Breathe.

Where do I start?

1.) We don't want Zherdev. We want Horton or Staal more. Trading up is an option, but not for Zherdev. And it's not like we need another NHL calibre player.

2.) Why give away perfectly good picks for a player who isn't ever wanted anyway. I think we wait until August before we get Tver. A lot of UFA signings can happen before then. And the way he's gone in NJ, would we really want him? Our defence is full as it is, and he would be the Berezin of 2 years ago, and the Czerk of last year... so :nono:

3.) Not for a 3rd... We'd be better off keeping Souray or Quintal, and keeping room for out future players. He might be a good defencemen. He'll probably pull like Hatcher and remain with the only org. he's ever known.

4.) OK, I might agree with you on that one. But it depends on us firing Green and Charon

5.) Dykhuis, Hossa and 10th rounder for Smyth and 1st rounder. Or, overpaid No.5 Defensemen, underachieving prospect and joke of a pick for goalscoring whiz and 1st rounder. Hell, maybe they'll throw in Comrie too. :guru:

6.) Breezy to TB (or CAR or WAS, or even FLA) is a good idea, but Modin... maybe not. A high pick would be nice, or one of their elite euro prospects (Svitov or Alexeev).

7.) See #6

8.) Trade Audette and Czerk for a pick. Both, combined, to NYR, for a 4th rounder. They can keep the change too.

:king:

No, Breezy to Toronto or the SE conference. Perreault to ANA if Oates retires, Dackell to Calgary, Traverse to Hamilton, Dykhuis to Carolina or Chicago, Hossa to LA, Juneau to the Mexico City Expansion team, and McKay to NJ.

:ghg:

[Edited on 2003/6/12 by puck7x]

Aussie, I found it funny you could write these two in succession:

5.) Dykhuis, Hossa and 10th rounder for Smyth and 1st rounder. Or, overpaid No.5 Defensemen, underachieving prospect and joke of a pick for goalscoring whiz and 1st rounder. Hell, maybe they'll throw in Comrie too.  :guru:

6.) Breezy to TB (or CAR or WAS, or even FLA) is a good idea, but Modin... maybe not. A high pick would be nice, or one of their elite euro prospects (Svitov or Alexeev).  

You say the first deal makes no sense, then in the very next line you want to trade the mistake-prone with an awful rep and overpaid Breezy for Modin, a high pick, or Svitov/Alexeev?

As you would say, maybe they'll throw in Lecavalier ;)

As for the rest:

1) I haven't seen any of the prospects play, I cannot say if trading up for Zherdev would be worth... especially if I don't know what it would cost us to move up.

And the risk of taking the 17th in return is Bernier might be gone by then, you never know. I'd only trade down if had at least 2-3 guys I liked in that range... so I was pretty sure one of them would still be available.

2) Tverdovsky is not worth one 2nd rounder, let alone two.

He was benched pretty often than in the playoffs, that would make him NJ's 7th D man... who makes 3.6M.

And we have a surplus of Dmen as it is, I don't see the nedd to bring in another one... especially if we're not dumping Breezer in the process.

3) We have Markov, Souray, Hainsey, Beauchemin (forget Bouillon, Dykhuis, Traverse). If Matvichuk comes in Hainsey has nowhere to go anymore.

Only if Souray's career is over, or you plan to trade him the second Hainsey is ready... is it a good move to sign Matvichuk.

Or if they plan to trade Hainsey of course, I hope not... then Beauchemin is screwed too btw, although that's a lesser concern.

4) Only if Carbo comes in, or CJ approves... I don't like assistants being imposed by the GM on a coach.

The coach should always the last word on who will assist him.

Bringing in Jarvis does seem like a natural move to make, on that I completely agree.

5) I'd make that trade, but I doubt the Oilers would.

Then again they traded Carter for Dvorak, so... ;)

6) Answered above

7) I doubt we'd get much of a pick for Breezer, I'm not even sure someone would take him if we put him on waivers.

8) We would have to to give a pick for someone to take Audette, dido Czerk... they passed through waivers remember?

the only way to get rid of them is to buy them out, most likely.

[Edited on 11-6-03 by Habs77]

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

My thinking around the oilers trade is that, with comrie,isbister, horcoff, laraque even, smith and smyth as RFA's and Marchant as UFA, the oilers would need loose one of those. (especially if they want to resign Marchant, which i hear they will try to, and wouldnt be surprised if they did, do) Smith is their captain and rock on d since niinimaa left.

I dont think the Oilers will trade Smyth to make room (save money) for Marchent , makes no sense to me. Smyth is the better player , Smyth is the younger player , and they both make about the same amount of money (Or they will once Marchent goes on the open market)... Oilers are just going to let Marchent go imo , they might make a half-ass attempt to re-sign him (to look good for the fans) but they'll let him go.

Originally posted by Habs77

Aussie, I found it funny you could write these two in succession:

5.) Dykhuis, Hossa and 10th rounder for Smyth and 1st rounder. Or, overpaid No.5 Defensemen, underachieving prospect and joke of a pick for goalscoring whiz and 1st rounder. Hell, maybe they'll throw in Comrie too.  :guru:

You say the first deal makes no sense, then in the very next line you want to trade the mistake-prone with an awful rep and overpaid Breezy for Modin, a high pick, or Svitov/Alexeev?

As you would say, maybe they'll throw in Lecavalier ;)

Brisebois had a bad year this year, but GMs know that he could and would be better on another team. He is Montreal's Bitch right now. The crowd boos him, we blame him for a lot of mistakes. He takes his fair share of the blame. TB will need help on Defence, and if we pay half of Breezy's contract, just to get rid of him. He is a good defence, and IMO next year will be better, especially on another team

As for the rest:

2) Tverdovsky is not worth one 2nd rounder, let alone two.He was benched pretty often than in the playoffs, that would make him NJ's 7th D man... who makes 3.6M.

And we have a surplus of Dmen as it is, I don't see the nedd to bring in another one... especially if we're not dumping Breezer in the process.

I didn't say he was worth a 2nd rounder. I think that trading Brisebois for Tver would be better because (a)Tver is Russian (Markov feels lonely) and (B) his salary is less than Breezy's anyway

3) We have Markov, Souray, Hainsey, Beauchemin (forget Bouillon, Dykhuis, Traverse). If Matvichuk comes in Hainsey has nowhere to go anymore.  Only if Souray's career is over, or you plan to trade him the second Hainsey is ready... is it a good move to sign Matvichuk.  Or if they plan to trade Hainsey of course, I hope not... then Beauchemin is screwed too btw, although that's a lesser concern.

I think you must be replying to someone else now... I agree with that statement, though I don't like to think of either Bouillion or Beauchemin as screwed

5) I'd make that trade, but I doubt the Oilers would.

Then again they traded Carter for Dvorak, so...  ;)

Mmm Hmm! Maybe they'll want to trade Rita for Hossa? I'd do it

7) I doubt we'd get much of a pick for Breezer, I'm not even sure someone would take him if we put him on waivers.

Answered Above

8) We would have to to give a pick for someone to take Audette, dido Czerk... they passed through waivers remember?

the only way to get rid of them is to buy them out, most likely.

I think if Audette picks up at the start this coming season (fills in for Mr.October - Savage), he will become tradeable. Especially if Brunette or Ronning take a big fall on MIN, and they need someone like the afore mentioned to pick up the slack. Sure, we might have to throw in a 7th rounder, but it'd be worth it, right?

BTW, anyt news on Czerk's decision about next season?

Here is what I would like the habs to do this summer...

- Trade Brisebois! At this point it doesnt matter what we get in return for him , trading him is the priority... getting anything in return is a bonus . Lose his contract , lose the the distraction...

- Trade one of Ribeiro/Perreault , I dont care which ... They'll probably both be off the team by next summer anyways (Perreault will be gone forsure)

- Force Juneau to retire (lol , I wish) or trade him. Also trade his buddy Dackell. Juneau was pretty much useless last season , he was a defensive disaster and did nothing offensively , sure part of the defensive problem can be blamed on the team as a whole and the coaching , but he has no excuse for his lack of offense. Plus the guy isnt getting any younger , has a bad back and a big contract. geez... Its going to be tough to trade Juneau...

- And if we have time... Get rid of Traverse and/or Dykhuis. Its a numbers game and they dont fit into it , not enough roster space to hold onto these 2 healthy scratch d-men. (And I doubt they accept going to the AHL)

To summarize ... dump : Brisebois , Ribeiro/Perreault , Juneau , Dackell

Dont get me wrong , I'd love to get rid of guys like McKay , but realistically I know we are stuck with him. McKay is a Gillett favourite , McKay said he is returning next season , McKay has a big contract (for one year anyways) that NO TEAM would ever take on.

[Edited on 2003/6/15 by puck7x]

What I ABSOLUTLY want at the draft:

Montreal 10th pick: Do everything to get Parise, move up a few spots if needed with 4th to 9th round picks like last year with Higgins.

Try and get another 1st rounder: Tradeable assets with value:

2 2nd round picks, Ribeiro, Perreault, Brisebois+any other pick.

draft Bernier

We obviously lose a 2nd rounder( I hope not thought), but we pick up a defensemen with the other.

That would give us a real good prospect core with everything.

Top 5 draft positions

FLA

CAR

PIT

CMB

BUF

What they need:

FLA - Another centremen, young or old. RW, good prospect, or older with leadership. Quality Defensemen.

CAR - RW, good prospect or quality NHL regular. Goalie prospect/s. Defensive defensemen prospects.

PIT - Cheap quality players. Scoring defensive prospect. Anyone good, as long as cheap.

CMB - Big prospects. Centre prospects. Quality RWs. Quality D?

BUF - Cheap quality players. Prospects at LW and D. Solid goalie

What we can offer:

FLA - Perreault/Ribeiro. Balej/Audette. Brisebois

CAR - Balej/Audette. Garon/Michaud. Archer

PIT - Bulis/Hossa. Hainsey. Ribeiro

CMB - Higgins/Kilger. Audette/Czerkawski. Brisebois/Dykhuis

BUF - Bulis/Ribeiro. Hossa/Archer. Garon

Note. I am not suggesting that those are packages. I am suggesting those could be included in packages.

Any thoughts?