Habs sign Damphousse, Dagenais, Ferland

Habs77

PRESS RELEASE  

Canadiens' GM Bob Gainey announced Friday the signings of two free agents, forward Pierre Dagenais and goaltender Jean-François Damphousse. Both players agreed to two-year contracts with the team (the 2003-2004 season plus one year at the club option). The Canadiens also signed forward Jonathan Ferland to a three-year contract. As per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.  

Dagenais, 25, played in nine games with the Florida Panthers last season. He registered 35 points (21 goals, 14 assists) in 49 games with the AHL's San Antonio Rampage. The 6-foot-5, 215-pound native of Blainville has played in a total of 60 career games in the NHL with New Jersey and Florida, recording 19 points (13 goals, 6 assists) during that span. A New Jersey draft selection in 1997 (re-drafted by the Devils in 1998), Dagenais was claimed on waivers by the Panthers on January 12, 2002.  

Damphousse, 23, played in 41 games with the AHL's Cincinnati Mighty Ducks and Saint John Flames last season. He posted a 17-19-4 record, maintaining a 2.92 goals against average and a .904 save percentage. The New Jersey Devils’ first round selection (and 24th overall pick) at the 1997 NHL Entry Draft, Damphousse was traded to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim with Petr Sykora, Mike Commodore and Igor Pohanka in return for Jeff Friesen, Oleg Tverdovsky and Maxim Balmochnykh on July 6, 2002. On March 11, 2003, he was traded to the Calgary Flames with Commodore in return for Rob Niedermayer. Damphousse, a native of St-Alexis-des-Monts, played in six NHL games with the Devils during the 2001-02 season. He posted a 1-3-0 record, a 2.45 goals against average and a .896 save percentage.  

Ferland, 20, ranked second in scoring on the QMJHL Acadie-Bathurst Titan in 2002-03. He registered 89 points in 68 games (45 goals, 44 assists), and 94 penalty minutes. Ferland was the Canadiens’ fifth selection (212th overall) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.  

[Edited on 4-7-03 by Habs77]

Good signings , I've liked Dagenais for awhile and had wanted the habs to get him when the Devils put him on waivers. He's a big guy though he is NOT physical but he does have a physical presence , he has a great shot but has questionable skating ... He is a project.

A great comparison for him is Eric Chouinard ... They are basically the same player. They both even played with Ribeiro in the QMJHL , Dagenais and Ribeiro were a great duo.

Damphousse is a former 1st round draft pick , and while he is another goalie he might end up being a steal signing , I hear that his conditioning is really bad (why the flames didnt qualify him) , so if we get him to work on that we could have a steal. It looks like Michaud is NOT in the habs future plans and that the Dogs goalies will be Fichaud/Damphousse ...

And Ferland.... Well we had to sign him , no brainer.

Wow.. i thought it was vince lol. I was wondering, what they would do with perreault ribeiro and juneau.. or maybe vince would have play at LW. Finnally it's "only" J-F. Yes, I believe as well it can be a steal. At worst it'll make a good AHL goalie. Some have thought he would replace Brodeur one day with the devils. Well.. time will say

As for Dagenais, he should have been here long before. Well, now it means Ribeiro is in Gainey's plan. The sad news it's that means IMO that Ribeiro will play on the fourth line with Dwyer and Dagenais. At least, that means "bye bye Dackell". So it looks like Juneau and Perreault will remain here as well.

I'm very happy with these signings. Dogs are getting stronger every day. And therefore, so are the Canadiens.

However, I have two problems/theories/ideas.

1.) Michaud won't make the jump to AHL next season. Fichaud and Damphousse will be the net minders. How does that work? Can anyone tell me? Will Michaud be stuck in the QMJHL for the rest of his life? Or will he move to ECHL with the Cottonmouths next season?

And the other thing...

I like these h'ordeouvres, but now Im hungry.

I'm in for some Koivu and potatoes, or Markov burger. Dwyer chips?

Hell, maybe even a Ribeiro pie to finish off.

Seriously, I want signing, and I want it now

Yep... Gainey is the man.

Did he answer Lacroix or what... oh yeah? you're signing Kariya & Selanne?... I'm signing Damphousse & Dagenais, take that! :P

If this doesn't bring us respect around the league I don't know what will, we're the only team who answered the Avalanche's challenge. ;)

Seriously though... good signings.

And have we shored up our goalie depth lately or what?

Drafted 2, then sign another kid as UFA... me thinks Michaud needs to take a hint here.

I like this approach when it comes to goaltenders, a few low draft picks and a few UFA rejects... try to find a diamond in the rough.