SN Take On Theo

BTH

I missed this guys name but on Sportsnet Pacific there is a crazy announcer.

"I think that José Theodore at 5.3 million is a bargain. Because we all know that the only reason the Montreal Canadiens make the playoffs every year is because Theodore plays so well during the regular season. They know they can win a bunch of games all because of José Theodore. This guy is a bargain!

You know who's a big goalteandiong bargain? Manny Legace", blablabla.

The first paragraph is idiotic. First of all, Theo is not at a bargain price nor is he playing up to his salary. Also, he's been playing bad in the regular season. Saying he plays well in the playoffs is more realistic.

What bothers me most is how he says "the only reason why we make the playoffs is because of Theodore". Theodore's been playing poorly this season and - surprise - first in the Conference! Did Kovalev, Koivu et al have nothing to do with it? My bad, I've been mistaken for all these years.

Nothing more than a sloppy and lazy man who, for lack of actually following and analysing a team, simply states lame stereotypical views of a team. Can't believe people get paid for efforts like this.

Originally posted by GuyRock70

The analyst was John Garrett. He is a former NHL goalie and usually pretty astute, in my opinion. Obviously he's a big Theo fan and so am I. Theodore will be there when the chips are down.:hlogo:

You were watching?

in past years theo has definitely helped us steal some playoff games (see 2002) and a lot of regular season games.

This year the team is much better and perhaps needs him less. I forgot who mentioned Dryden's maxim about good team goalies in another thread, but in the same section of 'the game' Dryden also mentioned how his role changed over the 70's as his team went from damn good to elite+.

Even an awesome team needs some stolen games every once in a while and I believe that Theo can still do that, but we will have to see. If Theo can be that guy, he is still worth the paycheck.

If the team is improving and become top-tier as we all suspect, then Theo's job description will change from 'guy who gets us in' to 'guy who won't get us out'.

I still believe (I need to believe) that Theo will play much better over the next 63 games than he did over the first 19 (although he has generally been playing much better as of late).

[Edited on 11/16/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

I missed this guys name but on Sportsnet Pacific there is a crazy announcer.

"I think that José Theodore at 5.3 million is a bargain. Because we all know that the only reason the Montreal Canadiens make the playoffs every year is because Theodore plays so well during the regular season. They know they can win a bunch of games all because of José Theodore. This guy is a bargain!

You know who's a big goalteandiong bargain? Manny Legace", blablabla.

The first paragraph is idiotic. First of all, Theo is not at a bargain price nor is he playing up to his salary. Also, he's been playing bad in the regular season. Saying he plays well in the playoffs is more realistic.

What bothers me most is how he says "the only reason why we make the playoffs is because of Theodore". Theodore's been playing poorly this season and - surprise - first in the Conference! Did Kovalev, Koivu et al have nothing to do with it? My bad, I've been mistaken for all these years.

I saw this also and to be fair Garrett kept saying that by "bargain" he meant very valuable to his team. He repeated emphasized that what he thinks a team needs from a gaolie is playoff performances. He said Theodore is a bargain because he wins playoff series. He cited Joseph as a non-bargain because Garrett feels Joseph doesn't lead his team to winning playoff series.

I think this is an unusual use of "bargain" but he emphasized that is what he meant. He feels that his past record means Theodore will continue to have playoff success and it therefore a bargain.

Well no matter how Garrett used the word "bargain" this sentence says it all: "José Theodore is the only reason that the MOntreal Canadiens make the playoffs."

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Well no matter how Garrett used the word "bargain" this sentence says it all: "José Theodore is the only reason that the MOntreal Canadiens make the playoffs."

This was definitely a true statement in his Hart/Vezina year. That team had no business being in the playoffs. It could be argued that this was true last season, although it's more of a stretch. This season, it's an out-to-lunch statement (although we haven't made the playoffs yet!).

If Garrett is guilty of something, it's not updating his views to reflect the current situation. Memo to Garrett: we have a real team now!

Originally posted by simonus

I forgot who mentioned Dryden's maxim about good team goalies in another thread, but in the same section of 'the game' Dryden also mentioned how his role changed over the 70's as his team went from damn good to elite+.

[Edited on 11/16/2005 by simonus]

What's amazing is that the people who are getting down on Theodore because he has "no concentration" and was only good on a bad team want to bring in Luongo?!?!?

Hello people, let's replace someone who plays well when he faces 40 shots with someone else who plays well when he faces 40 shots... Right, that makes a lot of sense. I'm not saying either Luongo or Theodore are bad goalies, in fact I think they're both absolutely amazing, but those who want to trade for Luongo now that we're facing less shots aren't paying enough attention to the factors.