Penguins At Habs, 7 PM

There is a difference between winning with good habits and winning with bad habits. Good habits have a tendency of carrying to the playoffs and winning you games. Bad habits have a tendency to break you when your season depends on four out of seven.

I definitely want to see better habits by the team. The first period holds us back from being a dominant scoring team. The weak powerplay prevents us from taking control of games. Montreal isn't consistent enough on the wings. There's a hole in the Top nine that needs to be filled. The defence needs to get stronger on the right side. Carey Price cannot be leaned on so much (Pacioretty saying as much in an interview was telling). We don't connect to the goalie on our shots enough and allow too many shots to hit our goalie.

But I also don't want to ignore where the team is. We're 3rd best in the league for goals against. We're 20th for goals for but 11th for five on five goals and 4th in third period goals. We're 7th in the league when we outshoot our opponents and 6th in the league when we're being outshot. Penalty kill is 6th. Our faceoff percentage is 2nd best in the league. We're not staring down any serious cap issues, we're a good mix of youth and veterans and we have a top player at forward (Pacioretty), at defence (Subban) and in goal (Price). We have a deep, flexible prospect pool and still have the best drafting head scout in the league. In the past two seasons we've proved we can lead a division in the season (2012-2013) and in the playoffs (2013-2014).

I guess that's why I don't get too hung up on the team for their negatives, aside from when people repeat stuff over and over ad nauseum without any context. We have some habits that need to change and some habits that need to stick. I still see this as a team that can make the Eastern Conference finals. Boston was the threat in the Atlantic last year. Now it's Tampa. Break into the ECF and it's anyone's game. You have two ECF appearances, regardless of the result after, and you're in a position where everyone knows you're just a few pieces from a Cup. I want to be there and I don't think we're far.

Long way of saying they are not stanley cup contenders. ("dont think we're far") Didnt know we agreed on that.

"still, think they can MAKE IT TO the eastern conference finals"

Which is every ones take. No reason to believe they cant go as far as last years team.

Me, I think they could WIN the eastern finals. Not the favourites but capable of winning. (Carey Price is their ace) I do not think they can beat the western champs in a series though. No way. Not deep enough, not big enough, not physical enough. Up front or on the blue line. Whether it be Ducks,Hawks,Blues,Preds,Kings. Carey Price or not.