Corey's got a Locke on the OHL Scoring Race

Toren

With one game left for Corey Locke and the Ottawa 67s, it seems that CHL scoring phenom Corey Locke will once again take top scoring honours in the OHL. Unfortunately, one Sydney Crosby will win the CHL scoring title, as he has been on an absolute tear the whole season.

Locke has 115 points in 63 games and had a 4 point night today, which included a hat-trick and his 50th goal of the season.

Corey's closest competition comes from Anaheim prospect Corey Perry, who has 110 points in 64 games. Perry would have to get 6 points in his final game (due to Perry's goal total of 40), as he was shut out early tonight.

So, I think it's safe to say *knock on wood* that we drafted a two-time OHL scoring champion, and this kid's only 19. He's got one more strong year of junior ahead of him. You may say that Corey had a dropoff year from the last one, but you have to look at the 67s team last year. They were completely stacked and Locke was playing with top-notch linemates. This year, his closest teammate in points has 62 (including the 4 points from tonight), and Locke is developing his skills well.

:ghg:

[Edited on 2004/3/13 by Toren]

It's official.

Corey Locke finishes the year with 117 points, and 51 goals in 65 games. The only player to finish with 50 goals (by a long shot) this season. Perry finishes with 113 points and 40 goals.

[Edited on 2004/3/15 by Toren]

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by habsfan88

That's a great sign.  Man our scouts are doing well choosing some of these guys :)

actually the funny thing is that we had him very low (6th round?) even if he was named the league's MVP! and even if he won the scoring title before the Draft.

The guy has talent. We'll see what he can do on the AHL level.. and eventually on the NHL. I'm happy we got him. Talented guys with attitude always find a way to perform:ghg:

[Edited on 2004-3-31 by sakiqc]

A guy who's just moved from Toronto to my hometown is pretty good friends with him. He played on the same Tier-2 team last year or a few years ago, something like that. Anyway, he'll be able to put me in touch with Corey, if only as an admiring fan from the other side of the world. Pretty awesome stuff

Get me an interview with him! ;)

I would love to get an interview done with someone in the organization, wether it's an assistant trainer or a prospect.

Ever since the Habs drafted him, I've been a massive Corey Locke fan. I've been watching the Rogers Webcasts of the 67s game, and that guy is something.

Too bad Ottawa got eliminated from the playoffs in 7 games, though. It certainly wasn't from a lack of effort from Locke.