The Samsonov Mega Thread

CBHabs_fan

I understand the concern about attracting future free agents, but some point this is still a business of winning hockey games, not placating players or fans around the league. Some players will never be able to play in Montreal, plain and simple. Some (Bonk) make adjustments. Samsonov found that out the hard way, but ultimately it's all about winning. If we're genuinely contending for the Cup, players WILL want to come. And we have the nucleus to do that, what we don't seem to have is enough patience.

Anyway, I doubt that the foundation of credibility that has been Gainey's legacy here is going to be shattered by what Samsonov thinks or says. As far as Sammy playing, I think he does, but only if and when we make the playoffs. At this time every point is too precious to be experimenting with working him back into the lineup, on the other hand he could do what he did in Edmonton last year, become the "X-factor" for the playoffs. Hey, stranger things have happened......

Edited by redondo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves me right though(I'm getting old remember) Samsonov was playing horribly pretty much since the start of this season. He never found his stride or his touch. Management was extremely patient with him before finally delegating to the 4th line in a practise? He reacted poorly, as did his agent over that and the first volley was fired through the media - by him, not the coach? Since that moment it has gone from bad to worse, with a few blips along the way?

Your memory is just fine - exactly right.

Put Samy in!!! Every night i see him get lots of chances. He is fast and will play good cuz he knows his season is on the line, if he doesn't perform then his season is done :( . carbo might be surprised by samsy if he decides to put him in the lineup.

1. He didn't perform in most of the 63 games he's played so far - why should he be in the lineup? Because he's fast??

2. Carbo has been surprised whenever Sammy's been in the lineup - unpleasantly.

Your memory is just fine - exactly right.

thanks - my meds must be working :)

ALL THE BITCHERS AND WHINERS WHO CLAIM TO BE HABS FANS SHOULD READ THIS MEMORISE AND HAVE TO PASS ATEST BEFORE THEY CAN WATCH ANOTHER GAME. EXACTLY RIGHT! :clap:

sorry about the caps I was emotional lol

I have to admit that trying to follow from afar is tough, but thanks for confirming what I thought was the sequence of events so far in this fiasco.

Samsonov has been his own worst enemy all year long.

Edited by beliveau1

As for Carbo, I've been a bit of a Carbo-hater this year too, and I don't think he's had a good year. But I think that Gainey will be keeping him on for a while, if only for this reason: Montreal has made a habit over the past decade of absorbing the lacklustre rookieness of coaches who subsequently have turned into winners: Vigneault, Therrien, Julien. Having Carbo suck for two seasons to have him become one of those experienced winner coaches - without the intermediary step of firing him - is an investment that Gainey is willing to make. If Gainey wants to manufacture his own Lindy Ruff or Barry Trotz, it's going to demand a lot of patience.

Carbo is learning some things, after all. Over the past two weeks or so, he's finally started showing some discipline in reacting to refs' calls; the result - the team finally develops a sense of personal responsibility, and the Habs take ONE penalty last night.

His strategy for choosing lines is finally showing some nuancing, too. It's pretty crazy right now - I think the metaphor of throwing all the forwards in a blender is a pretty accurate description of what he's been doing lately - but at least it shows some adaptation, which is a sign he's learning, however slowly.

Gainey is just willing to wait out the incompetence until it becomes the solid coaching that Gainey believes it can be.

I agree, and this is finally encouraging... I also like the fact that he's finally giving the young guys a chance to play in all the high stakes situations because they're the ones performing. At the beginning of the season, it was sometimes frustrating to see guys who were playing poorly stay in the same position (1st, second line) just because they were the more established ones. I just hope that Poor Perogie gets a chance when he returns from his concussion too.

I understand the concern about attracting future free agents, but some point this is still a business of winning hockey games, not placating players or fans around the league. Some players will never be able to play in Montreal, plain and simple.

As far as Sammy playing, I think he does, but only if and when we make the playoffs. At this time every point is too precious to be experimenting with working him back into the lineup, on the other hand he could do what he did in Edmonton last year, become the "X-factor" for the playoffs. Hey, stranger things have happened......

agree perfectly with the parts in bold. We're just not in the position of trying things out right now.

With regards to RobRock's scenarios, I would agree with the first 3 options. I believe that Gainey will try and deal him before the UFA market opens, but will be unlikely to find a buyer; the only possibility exists is for a team like Chicago to exchange their overpriced-and-underproducing veteran (Adrian Aucoin) to Montreal. However, the Habs would have to taken on 2 years of a bad contract instead of 1 in that scenario.

The buyout is the most likely final scenario for Samsonov in the off season, and I believe it has to occur a few days before the July 1st start of the UFA period. From what I read in a Boston Bruins media article today, the two thirds of Samsonov's contract only has to be put against the cap over the next 2 seasons. That brings the figures down to $1,166,666 of a cap hit for those 2 seasons, which is much more palatable than twice that amount all on the 2007-08 season. For Samsonov, he'll gladly accept the buyout, and will still likely be given another chance by some NHL team, probably for somewhere between $500K-$1M depending on the state of desperateness of that team.

http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruins/view...rticleid=190337