White House opposes hate crime bill

Pierre the Great

Pathetic. Talk about living in the 19th century.

White House opposes hate crime bill

WASHINGTON - The White House issued a veto threat Thursday against legislation that would expand federal hate crime law to include attacks motivated by the victims' gender or sexual orientation.

The hate crimes bill, with strong Democratic backing, is expected to pass the House Thursday. Similar legislation is moving through the Senate.

But the legislation, which also would increase the penalties for bias-based violence, has met outspoken resistance from conservative groups and their Republican allies in Congress, who warn that it undermines freedom of speech, religious expression and equal protection under the law.

The House bill would extend the hate crimes category to include sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/ap_on_go_co/hate_crimes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know I really don't know what to say to this. It is very sad that in today's world the white house thinks gay people should be persecuted the way they are here. To be so backwards in reasoning is beyond belief.

When we have so much documentation of people going after gay and trans gender people. And on people with disabilities. I don't know how much crap people have given my sister.

I don't know how some reasonable conservative can defend this action the White House is going to take.

Murder is murder, assault is assault, what does it matter what race/sex/gay the people are?

they should get rid of all hate crime legislation, it just makes the justice system more complicated. I guess that's why lawyers like it so much.

I believe in equality for one and all. No special rights are needed when all are treated with dignity & respect.

Special rights groups unfortunately spread resentment and further the problems. As a result of pandering to far too many special rights groups we have in far too many instances stepped on the rights of the common people.

Unfortunately we are leaning too far away from common sense today - and the more laws we pass the worse it will become..... :wacko:

Eventually just the simple aspect of disagreeing with someone's 'identity' will become bashing = a hate crime?

That's a frightening concept.

My 2 cents and I don't intend to slip into a spiraling debate over this one..... not given to political or religious debates as there is nothing to be gained by arguing with some people unfortunately.

I believe in equality for one and all. No special rights are needed when all are treated with dignity & respect.

Special rights groups unfortunately spread resentment and further the problems. As a result of pandering to far too many special rights groups we have in far too many instances stepped on the rights of the common people.

Unfortunately we are leaning too far away from common sense today - and the more laws we pass the worse it will become..... :wacko:

Eventually just the simple aspect of disagreeing with someone's 'identity' will become bashing = a hate crime?

That's a frightening concept.

My 2 cents and I don't intend to slip into a spiraling debate over this one..... not given to political or religious debates as there is nothing to be gained by arguing with some people unfortunately.

Sadly that's not possible.

There wouldn't be the need for this kind of legislation if everyone got along. The fact is we don't, and there's a lot of hate in the world.

Sadly that's not possible.

There wouldn't be the need for this kind of legislation if everyone got along. The fact is we don't, and there's a lot of hate in the world.

Nothing is impossible Pierre - nothing.....

The problem with legislation is it's man made and that makes it riddled with flaws, but sadly enough that is a discussion most loathe to debate ;)