World Hockey Championships

Leafs Suck

Canada begins defence of their world championship this Sunday against Austria.

Canada has a great team and very well could repeat.

Goalies

Roberto Luongo, Florida

Marc Denis, Columbus

J.S Giguere, Anaheim

Defense

Jay Bouwmeester, Florida

Eric Brewer, Edmonton

Wille Mitchell, Minnesota

Derek Morris, Phoenix

Scott Niedermayer, New Jersey

Nick Schultz, Minnesota

Steve Staios, Edmonton

Forwards

Daniel Briere, Buffalo

Dany Heatley, Atlanta

Rob Niedermayer, Anahaim

Ryan Smyth, Edmonton

Justin Williams, Carolina

Rick Nash, Columbus

Brendan Morrow, Dallas

Shawn Horcoff, Edmonton

J.P Dumont, Buffalo

Jeff Friesen, New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...

I see that there isn't much interest in the tournament in North America, anyways ... :P

2 weeks ago I was in Prag, watching Austria-France (6-0) and Austria-Canada (2-2, it's like Austria would play 1-1 vs. Brazil in football :D). Our team played very good and Thomas Vanek was simply awesome (7 points in 3 games). :/)

So far it's a very good tournament, lot's of great games ... a pity that Austria couldn't advance to the quarter finals but our biggest rival Germany also couldn't today. :king:

Another surprise was Russia, they also have to fly home after the 2nd qualifying round. Alexej Jaschin and Ilja Kowaltschuk built a good pair with great chemistry, but they simply couldn't find the back of the net. Alexander Owetschkin also played some good games but Thichonov didn't give him so much ice-time.

Here are the quarter final pairings:

Sweden - Latvia

Czech Republic - USA

Canada - Suomi

Slovakia - Suisse

I think that Slovakia or Suomi will win the tournament and Sweden or the Czech Republic will get the 3rd place.

As usual Slovakia has a great offence with guys like Marian Hossa, Miro Satan, Pavol Demitra, Marian Gaborik and on ...

Canada only played against one tough oponnent so far and there they lost 2-6 to the Czech Republic. It seems that they have great names but they don't really play as a team.

http://www.ihwc.net

[Edited on 4-5-04 by habsfannr1]

Originally posted by sakiqc

I'd like to learn more about Jaschin, Kowaltschuk and Owetschkin. :lol:

Sounds like Yashin Kovalchuk and Ovechkin hehe

The guys in North America changed all the names to Yashin, Kovalchuk and so on ...

I know them better with their original names, so sorry if I write Kowaltschuk instead of Kovalchuk. ;)

You know Alexej Schamnow?! :P :king:

Here in Sweden the World Championships is hot.

Someone said that the finns are looking good? What?

Czech, Canada, Slovakia and Sweden are the teams that are hot.

Finland will probably pack their bags tomorrow. Without Saku Koivu they're doomed.

The Czech team are rolling. Maybe it's because they are playing on home ice, but if you ask me both Slovakia and Sweden has looked better.

Canada will get to the finals, they will face Slovakia or Sweden.

Oh my, Finland simply can't win those important games. They played so good again and then this Dany Heatley blast in overtime ... :(

Now it's time for Slovakia to win the tournament ... :P:clap:

Sweden 4 - Latvia 1

Czech Republic 2 - USA 3 (dmd US boys won this heartbreaker after Roach scored in the penaly shootout :puke: ;) )

Canada 5 - Finland 4 OT

Slovakia - Suisse (this evening)

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Great comeback by Canada  

Yea big comeback ... after Canada trailed by 2, I thought it was over. But as usual, Suomi simply couldn't hold on to that lead and lost it in a disappointing way (as often at big tournaments).

Their goalie looked bad  

There were lots of fluke goals, Mika Noronen only made one mistake and this was Bouwmeester's goal. ;)

Slovakia 3 - Suisse 1

Slovakia had their worst game at this tournament but at the end they deserved the win.

canada into the gold medal game

great acting job by lasak on the winning goal. he could play for the bruins with that kinda diving. wonder if slovakia will try and get him on the olympic diving team for this summers olympics?

bring on the sweds

canada into the gold medal game

great acting job by lasak on the winning goal. he could play for the bruins with that kinda diving. wonder if slovakia will try and get him on the olympic diving team for this summers olympics?

bring on the sweds

Nothing against you but dont you think that the canada player purpously tripped him? Althought I was happy that we won.

He didn't trip him. Watch the replay from the back, he didn't even touch him. He dove to draw a penalty.

Exactly... he barely touched the back of the leg with his stick and the goalie suddenly errupts in a 360 degree flip.

You'd think you were watching the Matrix with special effects like that... hehe

He hoped to draw the ref into giving an undeserved penalty... only problem was that it was a US ref, not a Europeean one like he's used to who will give out penalties for "skating too close to an opponent while he fell".

It's a shame a game like that is decided on a stupid ploy that backfired for the goalie... but he got what he deserved.

Anyway Slovakia can't really complain much, their only goal was a gift fluke bounce off the glass... and we got a gift goal as well.

The only real goal was the PP Briere goal, and so our win is deserved... they had ample opportunity to get a PP marker of their own with the ref calling everything against us to try and make it up to the Slovaks... and they couldn't get it done.

We won... fair & square, although not pretty.

--------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Man do Europeean games absolutely get on my nerves:

- remember how everybody was making a big deal about Ribeiro's fakeout... in just one game I lost count how many guys flopped to the ice for no reason and pretended to be hurt.

- the damn whistling is the most annoying thing ever, gives me a headache and I can't imagine how worse it is when you're actually there

- always a collection of the corniest songs ever being played during the game, the classic "life is life" and even "la bomba".... did their clocks freeze in the 80s?

No offense to anyone intended, just things that get on my nerves... I do like the whole crowd singing during games though, no denying they do love their hockey.

...they even whistled during the Canadian anthem a little, but that's not the kind of stuff that bothers me... I can understand fans being frustrated by what happened during the game and taking it out on something they shouldn't when emotions are running high.

:can:

yay, i get really frustarted watching the games. all the european teams dive and lay on the ice to draw penalties. their were about 6 or 7 times during the game that a slovak laid on the ice trying to draw a penalty. i see it came around to bit them in the ass at the end. i bet that would normally be called but since they dive so much, the ref saw right threw his dramatic oscar like performance.

people rip Ribeiro for what he did, well some of these guys are alot worse.

canada vs sweden, tee hee

again... it's gonna be tough with forsberg and lidstrom playing but we have the better goaltending and overall defense, with great depth. should be another close one. hopefully canada can pull it out.

[Edited on 2004/5/8 by Leafs Suck]

So why are you both watching European hockey when it drives you crazy ... ? :zzz:

Man that's so ridicilous ... I know, all the European guys are divers and the boys from Canada are simply the best and so on ... :eyes: :puke:

I never said European hockey was crap. It's very entairtaining. I just think some of the divers are disgraceful. It's like part of the coaching stragedy for some teams is lay on the ice to draw a penalty. I counted seven Slovakian players laying on the ice trying to draw a penalty, including Lasak.

Hopefully Sweden don't dive like Slovakia did.

If Canada wins, you gotta think that it'll guarnatee Luongo as the starter for the Canada Cup in August. Two straight WC golds.

But it isn't normal that there are many "diving scenes" ... ;)

USA won the 3rd place ... 0-0 after regulation and 4-2 in the penalty shootout. It was a boring game, but the USA worked so hard the whole tournament and they deserved it at the end I guess.