Habs targeting Getzlaf, Carter

Habs77

According to a poster I trust:

My sources indicate that the Habs are targeting Getzlaf. If he's gone when they pick 10th, they are quite interested in Carter.

It looks like they're after center with size to compete for a top-two center postion in two or three years.

Not exactly surprising that we'd be targeting a center with size... but if we are going to pick a center, Ribeiro is as good as gone.

Koivu, Higgins, our 1st pick this year... there our top 3 centers for the future.

If this is true, I wonder if the rumors of the Habs looking ot trade up would have us targeting Horton over Staal because of the size/grit factor.

Anyway... I guess we'll see. I still want us to get another 1st rounder if we can.

[Edited on 28-5-03 by Habs77]

Originally posted by Habs77

According to a poster I trust:

My sources indicate that the Habs are targeting Getzlaf. If he's gone when they pick 10th, they are quite interested in Carter.

It looks like they're after center with size to compete for a top-two center postion in two or three years.

Not exactly surprising that we'd be targeting a center with size... but if we are going to pick a center, Ribeiro is as good as gone.

Koivu, Higgins, our 1st pick this year... there our top 3 centers for the future.

If this is true, I wonder if the rumors of the Habs looking ot trade up would have us targeting Horton over Staal because of the size/grit factor.

Anyway... I guess we'll see. I still want us to get another 1st rounder if we can.

[Edited on 28-5-03 by Habs77]

I'd be alright if that was our pick (I'd prefer Getzlaf myself) ... So who is the source? Is it the same one we talked about on YIM? (The one where you got the Savard info..)

Cause I've been searching the other boards and I cant find the post... although I remember reading something similar to it (involving Getzlaf) a few weeks ago from the same guy.

Originally posted by puck7x

I'd be alright if that was our pick (I'd prefer Getzlaf myself) ... So who is the source? Is it the same one we talked about on YIM? (The one where you got the Savard info..)  

Cause I've been searching the other boards and I cant find the post... although I remember reading something similar to it (involving Getzlaf) a few weeks ago from the same guy.

Yes same guy... and I had seen the same Getzlaf rumor a few weeks ago too, although I thought it was from someone else last time (now, I'm not sure).

If Getzlaf is taken in the top 9, Carter is rated 16th with THN, I can't see us picking a 16th level guy with a 10th pick.

Although then again, all those rankings are subjective as hell... so can't count on them too much.

And trading down is tricky because you risk losing the guy you want...

If this info is true... then we hope Getzlaf is still available at #10. If not we pick the best available (Phaneuf/Brown..) and we trade for #13-20. And pick Carter.

Remember Carter was ranked 27th North-American in the latest ranking from CSS... and now all of a sudden 16th overall by THN.

It's a very inexact science.

And if Carter is taken before our 2nd pick... we still have Bernier to fall back on among others.

That's if we can manage to trade for a second 1st rounder of course. :contract:

Maybe, just maybe, we might get Nilsson with a later 1st round pick.

If we trade Garon to COL or PHO, we can ask for a 1st as well as a player.

Or Theodore, and get a quality prospect.

:idea:

[Edited on 2003/5/28 by TheAussiePosse]

I don't know squat about the guy, just learned some basic info about him in my THN top 60 Bio thing. ''Looks'' like he's not really a 1st or 2nd line center...I mean they keep saying he's just a good character player with excellent determination...Haven't we had picks like this one in the 90's?

Or for those of you that have seen him play, what kind of skill does he have other than just being mean?

• 2 weeks later...