HW's Eastern Conference Predictions

Habitforming

I though I would create a space for the people who want a place to agree, or disagree with the HW's predictions for the eastern conference standings.

Fire away!!

come on 6th ??!!

did we get thornton and nobody told me about it ??

unless there are some major changes this team will be a bottom feeder.

If the team stays healthy and there are no major incidents, i think 5th with 103 is perfectly realistic. I wouldn't bet on something so good though, i'd be somewhere in the 99-101 pt range and 6th or 7th, but 5th is certainly possible.

Let's not forget Habs were almost toe-to-toe with Buffalo last year, this despite underperformers such as Samsonov, until the string of disasters occured.

One thing's for sure, Habs have an excellent chance at making the playoffs.

Surprised no one said anything about me puting Washington in the top 3 in the East :D. Of course, I only have them there because I can see them winning the division.

Surprised no one said anything about me puting Washington in the top 3 in the East :D. Of course, I only have them there because I can see them winning the division.

which they could if they add a solid Vet on D.

I thought about putting them there but at the end of the day it is still Atlanta's spot to lose.

The Southeast is open to almost anyone really.

I figured all the doom and gloomers would be here in force but alas, only a few.

I will write an end of season report with a sincere "I'm sorry" if I'm wrong.....but I want all of you to do the same to me he he .

Really nice to see some optomism. I have been saying for quite some time that his team last year were really inspiring in the first half and totally screwed in the second half. The conditions do not exist for that to happen again (i hope). We have a much better team than last year and we will do some damage. Look for a big trade to be coming by xmas. Kovi is interested in playing hockey again that alone will get us into the playoffs. Yes i think we are destined to be a 5th or 6th place club and to win a cup within 2 years.

Yes i think we are destined to be a 5th or 6th place club and to win a cup within 2 years.

I beg to differ

. In 2 years we won't have a powerhouse team, and the Pens will be unbeatable! :(

For sure, but Poti will certainly help until they can bring someone else in (if they can).

poti is a good offensive threat but he can do little on D. he's not 1st Defense pairing material.

he will get his share of points on PP, though.

I beg to differ

. In 2 years we won't have a powerhouse team, and the Pens will be unbeatable! :(

Wait til Crosby's 8.7M per year contract kicks in, Malkin is making 6M, Staal 4M, Fleury 5M, Orpik etc....

They won't be able to keep that team together for long - which is why the way to go is not by finishing at the bottom for 5 seasons - it's by drafting well from high positions. San Jose has the best model in the league. Arguably the best lineup in the NHL, yet they have loads of youth (and Logan Couture in the wings) and that youth gives them over 12M in capspace so you can expect them to load up at the deadline. Their payroll is 28th highest in the league. Incredible.

I beg to differ

we shall see! but I think the pens have some problems in their future. An overrated goalie for 1

Wait til Crosby's 8.7M per year contract kicks in, Malkin is making 6M, Staal 4M, Fleury 5M, Orpik etc....

They won't be able to keep that team together for long - which is why the way to go is not by finishing at the bottom for 5 seasons - it's by drafting well from high positions. San Jose has the best model in the league. Arguably the best lineup in the NHL, yet they have loads of youth (and Logan Couture in the wings) and that youth gives them over 12M in capspace so you can expect them to load up at the deadline. Their payroll is 28th highest in the league. Incredible.

I disagree completely.

Yes, this season their numbers look good, with 21 players signed for $37.6M in salaries; but it is an illusion as the salaries of their key players new deals have not taken effect.

Next season they have 11 players signed for $35.633M with key players as RFA/UFA's (Carle, Erhoff, Bernier, Clowe, Pavelski, Goc) and some need raises .

Even with the players I mentioned signed for a measley $1.5M each (it will be more ) that puts them at $44.633M for 17 players with only 6 D, 11 forwards, and no backup goalie.

They really couldn't afford the Marleau deal when they signed it.

Either way, you can't sign a team with hope that the cap goes up year after year...hardly the model for success.

Edited by Habitforming

I think Toronto was predicted too low by everyone. I see them finishing 4th-5th... they are an improved team.

The only position they improved was in goal and behind the D they have it isn't that great of an improvement.

Blake's goals are completely off set by the players that left (O'Neil, Peca, Green, Perrault = 46g 51a) and Bell is a non factor for the first 2 months. In all likelyhood they are the same offensively and defensively with a mild upgrade in net.

Not worthy of 4th or 5th.

The only position they improved was in goal and behind the D they have it isn't that great of an improvement.

Blake's goals are completely off set by the players that left (O'Neil, Peca, Green, Perrault = 46g 51a) and Bell is a non factor for the first 2 months. In all likelyhood they are the same offensively and defensively with a mild upgrade in net.

Not worthy of 4th or 5th.

I don't think it's right to include deadline acquisitions and use their season totals to back up your case.

I'd only use what they did as a Leaf, in which case:

Perrault - 2 G, 3 A, 5 P

Green - 0 G, 0 A, 0 P

Peca - 4 G, 11 A, 15 P

O'Neil - 20 G - 22 A - 42 P

Total - 26 G - 36 A - 62 P

Blake points last year - 40 G - 29 A - 69

Either by my interpretation or yours... one player coming in and (potentially) replacing the offensive production of 4 players? That's an improvement in that any points gotten by the other 3 players replacing the 3 vacated are a bonus.

Raycroft set a team record for wins with a lesser offense and the same defense. Even a mild improvement in nets with Toskala is scary with that in mind.

I think the Leafs will surprise a lot of people, except Toronto fans of course. Toronto fans will be upset the Leafs won't finish 1st, and will yet again finish the year without a cup.

I don't think it's right to include deadline acquisitions and use their season totals to back up your case.

I'd only use what they did as a Leaf, in which case:

Perrault - 2 G, 3 A, 5 P

Green - 0 G, 0 A, 0 P

Peca - 4 G, 11 A, 15 P

O'Neil - 20 G - 22 A - 42 P

Total - 26 G - 36 A - 62 P

Blake points last year - 40 G - 29 A - 69

Either by my interpretation or yours... one player coming in and (potentially) replacing the offensive production of 4 players? That's an improvement in that any points gotten by the other 3 players replacing the 3 vacated are a bonus.

Raycroft set a team record for wins with a lesser offense and the same defense. Even a mild improvement in nets with Toskala is scary with that in mind.

I think the Leafs will surprise a lot of people, except Toronto fans of course. Toronto fans will be upset the Leafs won't finish 1st, and will yet again finish the year without a cup.

I used all their stats because Blake can only get about 20 mins of ice time per game wheras the other 4 players play more, on different lines, and can actually contribute more to the overall production as a result of filling out the lineup.

Blake's stats have the benefit of being a full season, where the replaced players only use a handful "as a leaf", none of Blake's numbers are as a leaf either...there is no way you can say he will do as well ever in his career, let alone as a leaf.

I think Toronto was predicted too low by everyone. I see them finishing 4th-5th... they are an improved team.

We have a much better team than Toronto.

Compare all the lines and decide which looks better on paper.

We have much more youth.

And within a couple years Toronto will be begging for mercy because they will have to play Montreal, Ottawa, and Buffalo a total of 24 games! That would end up like 6-18, for the Laffs.

Trizzak, You think they'll finish 4-5. With injuries (like last year) I see them finishing 8-9.

I just don't think Blake will ever score 40 goals again. I'm not even so sure he'll score 30 with Toronto. So their offence really hasn't improved that much. Also, their depth is terrible and on they rely on a few players too heavily so they will get screwed if one of them gets injured. They have only a handful of players that would crack our lineup and we're not even Cup contenders! (e.g. Chad Kilger as their #2 LW, their lineup is full of crap like that)

i like the optimism, but i see the habs in 7th maybe, more realistically 8th or 9th. I think the chemistry with this team needs to get perfect, they have the makings to be great for sure, but hopefully this year there will be no speaking out against the team or coach, i was a little worried when bobby chose price over guy's head but doesnt look to serious

The Leafs are big & fast, which is a nice combo, but they lack skill, depth, and defensive responsibility (that includes their forwards). If they have a good year, Maurice will deserve all the accolades he can get.

Here's my order:

1. Ottawa Senators - 120 points

2. New York Rangers - 110 points

3. Florida Panthers - 99 points

4. New Jersey Devils - 106 points

5. Pittsburgh Penguins - 105 points

6. Buffalo Sabres - 103 points

7. Montreal Canadiens - 94 points

8. Carolina Hurricanes - 93 points

9. Washington Capitals - 91 points

10. Toronto Maple Leafs - 90 points

11. Philadelphia Flyers - 88 points

12. Tampa Bay Lightning - 87 points

13. Boston Bruins - 81 points

14. Atlanta Thrashers - 80 points

15. New York Islanders - 75 points

7 points between 7th and 12th, so I do subscribe to the "anything can happen" theory. It'll all depend on how teams fare within their own division. A stinker team in any of the 3 divisions could really change the results... last year, Philly's horrendous record was the reason the Islanders made the playoffs. The Isles got the ridiculously pathetic Flyers 8 times, and did well against their own inter-division rivals while being very mediocre to below average against the rest of the NHL.

The Leafs are big & fast, which is a nice combo, but they lack skill, depth, and defensive responsibility (that includes their forwards). If they have a good year, Maurice will deserve all the accolades he can get.

Here's my order:

1. Ottawa Senators - 120 points

2. New York Rangers - 110 points

3. Florida Panthers - 99 points

4. New Jersey Devils - 106 points

5. Pittsburgh Penguins - 105 points

6. Buffalo Sabres - 103 points

7. Montreal Canadiens - 94 points

8. Carolina Hurricanes - 93 points

9. Washington Capitals - 91 points

10. Toronto Maple Leafs - 90 points

11. Philadelphia Flyers - 88 points