Gagne - Marleau - Yzerman

Jovo - Blake

Niedermayer - Foote

Pronger - Regehr

Brewer - Redden

Brodeur

Luongo

Belfour

Thats the roster, lines of course have yet to be set. I just mashed together the best lines I could think of...

My thoughts/comments on the selections... Mainly the ones I disagree-with/question.

Thornton: Alright, I realize that he is a great regular season performer in the NHL, and is a big bodied power-forward presence. But can he show up when it counts? for the big games? He's done nothing in how many straight NHL playoff series now? I'm not sure if Thornton has the heart/brains to play for Canada in this tourny. Though if he was not selected their would probably be a huge uproar in the media...

Draper/Maltby: You cant tell me that Gretzky couldnt find any better players then these 2 guys to fill these spots. I understand the need for role players, but come on! You can find loads of players who produce more offense then these 2 and who are responsible defensively... Like Keith Primeau for example, (and I am NOT a big Primeau fan, not at all)

Gagne: Why is he here? Seems to me the only reason he is on this team is because he was on the Olympic team in 2002, and Canada for some reason wants to stick with those same players... Gagne has been getting worse and worse for a few years now... Shouldnt Canada be using players who are CURRENTLY the best in the world? Gagne isnt even the best Canadian forward on his team right now (Hello Primeau ... again)

Brewer: (See- Gagne) Again another player being brought back because of Salt Lake city. Brewer has been god awful the past few seasons in Edmonton. If your going to take an Oiler D, then why not Jason Smith? (although I wouldnt take him either on this team).

Yzerman: How much does he really have left? He's almost at the end of the road in his career, and isnt nearly the same player that he once was, plus he's always nursing injuries and has to come back from a severe eye injury. We've already got one aging/superstar/wounded player on the team, and his name is Mario.

Is Canada/Gretzky to ashamed to admit that they made mistakes by picking Brewer/Gagne in 2002 that they have to bring them back for the 2004 World Cup? I dont get it...

Anyhoo... Those are the selections I have problems with, but having said that I still think that Canada will probably win the gold, they've got the best depth of any team in this tourny... They have more then enough talent to win the gold, though chemistry will be very important.

[Edited on 2004-5-15 by puck7x]

I cannot see how Gretzky can justify leaving Primeau off after the type of playoffs he's having.

Maltby vs Primeau. Who would you rather have in the championship final. I'll take the physical, checking and offensive pressense of Keith Primeau anyday over Maltby. Kirk is a good player, but he couldn't tie Primeau's skates.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Kirk is a good player, but he couldn't tie Primeau's skates.

I agree. What convinced me that Primeau should be on the list is the way he stepped up his game(Game 2 vs TB) when his team needed a boost . Canada needs players who produce when the pressure is on. Maltby is fine defensively, but Primeau is more of an offensive force.

All of this will be a moot point as long as we win

:can:

I've been a Primeau fan for years. I thought he should have been on the 02 team and definitely should be on this team.

With Yzerman's eye a question and a few others, I think Primeau will end up on the team somehow.

Same with Theodore. Belfour's back is still a question mark and he still has not said if he's coming back.

[Edited on 2004/5/16 by Leafs Suck]

I don't wish anyone ill, especially a character guy like Stevie Y., but I hope that you are right and Primeau gets on the team somehow

:can:

For the championship game, I'd go with this lineup:

L1: Heatley - Sakic - Iginla

L2: M.Lemieux - Thornton - St.Louis

L3: Smyth - Marleau - Richards

C1: Morrow - Draper - Yzerman

X: Maltby, Doan, Gagne

D1: Pronger - Niedermayer

D2: Blake - Foote

D3: Jovanovski - Redden

X: Brewer, Regehr

G1: Brodeur

G2: Luongo

X: Belfour

I'm still surprised/disappointed that Rick Nash didn't make it. Tied for the league lead in goals and he is a young guy that can get experience for the future. Too many grinders for my liking, and if your gonna have those types of players, at least pick the right ones (Primeau).

Anyway, it's still a very good lineup, and it just goes to show you the depth that our country has when guys like Nash, Kariya and Lecavalier don't get the call.