Penalty Kill this season

Neech

Last year our PK was among the league's best. I thought there was no reason why that shouldn't continue this season, but we are around 26th or something. Are we missing Bonk THAT much? It was supposed to be our powerplay that would take a hit this year.

I think (and hope) the stats will get better as the year goes on and we'll finish considerably higher than we are now, and our powerplay won't be tops in the league.

We're surely missing Bonk and Johnson I'd say, they were just great for us on the PK. Smolinski was somehow brought in to help us there but I think that he failed miserably so far.

Chipchura is developing great and I think that he can put on a bigger role soon.

Our guys don't pressure the puck at all. Our only defence is to try and block passing lanes through the middle, but teams just pass it around the outside and get a quick shot through.

Our puck retrieval is abborhent. We often kill penalties with getting the puck outside the zone only once or twice. We'll block a shot, but they just get the puck back.

It's indicative of our team's defensive philosophy in general. Way too bunched up, not trying to force mistakes. Too much open ice to skate on as a result.

Well, as previously mentioned Bonk and Johnson were quite good on the PK. Smolinski's generally not been that good on the PK...the team's overall defense has been a bit shoddy in my opinion and it just extends to the PK as well.

It sure doesn't help that Begin and Smolinski are on the sidelines right now - though I didn't find the PK was going that great with them player either.

Looks like Chips will get a lot more work for the next few games for the PK.

As to a real reason why the PK isn't working well, I can't really think of one.